Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Although'
adv : despite the fact that; "even though she knew the answer, she
did not respond" [syn: though, tho']
- Although \Al*though"\, conj. [All + though; OE. al thagh.]
Grant all this; be it that; supposing that; notwithstanding;
Although all shall be offended, yet will not I. --Mark
Syn: Although, Though.
Usage: Although, which originally was perhaps more emphatic
than though, is now interchangeable with it in the
sense given above. Euphonic consideration determines
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Although'
In classical logic, a contradiction consists of a logical incompatibility between two or more propositions. It occurs when the propositions, taken together, yield two conclusions which form the logical, usually opposite inversions of each other. Illustrating a general tendency in applied logic, Aristotle’s law of noncontradiction states that “One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time.”
By extension, outside of classical logic, one can speak of contradictions between actions when one presumes that their motives contradict each other.
By creation of a paradox Plato's Dialog of Euthydemus demonstrates the need for the notion of contradiction. In the ensuing dialog Dionysodorus denies the existence of "contradiction", all the while that Plato is contradicting him:[See more about Although at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Although'
'Although' in famous quotation sentence
* 'Tis pleasant, sure, to see one's name in print. A book's a book, although there's nothing in 't. - George Gordon Byron
* Let me not be understood as saying that there are no bad laws, nor that grievances may not arise for the redress of which no legal provisions have been made. I mean to say no such thing. But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed. - Abraham Lincoln
Click here for more related quotations on 'Although'
Although Sample Sentences in News
- Why Chasing Happiness May Leave You Feeling Unhappier Than Ever
Although the pursuit of happiness has been a topic of discussion since the Declaration of Independence, the suggestion that everyone should feel happy all the time seems to be emerging as a new phenomenon in pop-culture. Movies, books and music lyrics all send messages that say, “You deserve to be happy.” But, . The Happiness Paradox Although there are countle Read more on this news related to 'Although'
- BOSTON MARATHON: Upper Gwynedd runner returns to Boston with faith, not fear
Although she has previously qualified twice for the Boston Marathon, Upper Gwynedd resident Meredith Long is hoping to finally complete the race for the first time this year. The 53-year-old mother of four first qualified when she was 17 but was sidelined by a stress fracture. Then, “life got in the way,” she said, and she put running aside. Read more on this news related to 'Although'
- Worries subside as chip designer ARM predicts boost in smartphone sales
Although ARM sales were disappointing at the end of last year, the chip designer expects smartphone sales to be boosted in the second half of 2014. Read more on this news related to 'Although'