Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Although'
adv : despite the fact that; "even though she knew the answer, she
did not respond" [syn: though, tho']
- Although \Al*though"\, conj. [All + though; OE. al thagh.]
Grant all this; be it that; supposing that; notwithstanding;
Although all shall be offended, yet will not I. --Mark
Syn: Although, Though.
Usage: Although, which originally was perhaps more emphatic
than though, is now interchangeable with it in the
sense given above. Euphonic consideration determines
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Although'
In classical logic, a contradiction consists of a logical incompatibility between two or more propositions. It occurs when the propositions, taken together, yield two conclusions which form the logical, usually opposite inversions of each other. Illustrating a general tendency in applied logic, Aristotle’s law of noncontradiction states that “One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time.”
By extension, outside of classical logic, one can speak of contradictions between actions when one presumes that their motives contradict each other.
By creation of a paradox Plato's Dialog of Euthydemus demonstrates the need for the notion of contradiction. In the ensuing dialog Dionysodorus denies the existence of "contradiction", all the while that Plato is contradicting him:[See more about Although at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Although'
'Although' in famous quotation sentence
* 'Tis pleasant, sure, to see one's name in print. A book's a book, although there's nothing in 't. - George Gordon Byron
* Let me not be understood as saying that there are no bad laws, nor that grievances may not arise for the redress of which no legal provisions have been made. I mean to say no such thing. But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed. - Abraham Lincoln
Click here for more related quotations on 'Although'
Although Sample Sentences in News
- No More Barbie Girl: Meet the World's First Normal Sized Lammily Doll
Although she doesn't look a day over fifteen, Barbie celebrated her 55th birthday this year. Despite this, it may be time for Barbie to finally step down as the queen of children's dolls. Created by Nickolay Lamm, a digital artist and designer from Pittsburgh, Lammily is the world's first normal sized doll. Last year, Lamm designed images of what he d Read more on this news related to 'Although'
- Annual dog show brings out the best
Although the majority of the dogs’ human counterparts at the Prince Albert Kennel and Obedience Club’s All-Breed Conformation Show were hobbyists, Terry Bernier considers dog showing his profession. Read more on this news related to 'Although'
- Oxlade-Chamberlain comes of age for Arsenal
Although the Gunners came up short on Wednesday night, the 20-year-old provided the drive and skill which will be required in the run-in Read more on this news related to 'Although'