Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Although'
adv : despite the fact that; "even though she knew the answer, she
did not respond" [syn: though, tho']
- Although \Al*though"\, conj. [All + though; OE. al thagh.]
Grant all this; be it that; supposing that; notwithstanding;
Although all shall be offended, yet will not I. --Mark
Syn: Although, Though.
Usage: Although, which originally was perhaps more emphatic
than though, is now interchangeable with it in the
sense given above. Euphonic consideration determines
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Although'
In classical logic, a contradiction consists of a logical incompatibility between two or more propositions. It occurs when the propositions, taken together, yield two conclusions which form the logical, usually opposite inversions of each other. Illustrating a general tendency in applied logic, Aristotle’s law of noncontradiction states that “One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time.”
By extension, outside of classical logic, one can speak of contradictions between actions when one presumes that their motives contradict each other.
By creation of a paradox Plato's Dialog of Euthydemus demonstrates the need for the notion of contradiction. In the ensuing dialog Dionysodorus denies the existence of "contradiction", all the while that Plato is contradicting him:[See more about Although at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Although'
'Although' in famous quotation sentence
* 'Tis pleasant, sure, to see one's name in print. A book's a book, although there's nothing in 't. - George Gordon Byron
* Let me not be understood as saying that there are no bad laws, nor that grievances may not arise for the redress of which no legal provisions have been made. I mean to say no such thing. But I do mean to say that although bad laws, if they exist, should be repealed as soon as possible, still, while they continue in force, for the sake of example they should be religiously observed. - Abraham Lincoln
Click here for more related quotations on 'Although'
Although Sample Sentences in News
- Project backlogs to enable leading developers to hit revenue targets
Although the residential property market in the first quarter dropped nearly 10 per cent year on year in terms of presales, listed developers are confident they can achieve their overall revenue targets for the full year. Read more on this news related to 'Although'
- Beck Hopes to Release Next Album This Year
Although nearly six years passed between Beck's "Modern Guilt" and "Morning Phase," the singer believes he may well have another album out by the end... Read more on this news related to 'Although'
- Not against growth: ECCL says it's not anti-development
Although vocal about perceived development blunders, Estero leaders say they are not anti-development, and in fact, have spent more than $15,000 this year to study future development along the Corkscrew Road and U.S. 41 commercial corridors. Read more on this news related to 'Although'