Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Alteration'
- an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another; "the change was intended to increase sales"; "this storm is certainly a change for the worse"; "the neighborhood had undergone few modifications since his last visit years ago" [syn: change, modification]
- the act of making something different (as e.g. the size of a garment) [syn: modification, adjustment]
- the act of revising or altering (involving reconsideration and modification); "it would require a drastic revision of his opinion" [syn: revision]
- Alteration \Al`ter*a"tion\, n. [Cf. F. alt['e]ration.]
- The act of altering or making different. Alteration, though it be from worse to better, hath in it incoveniences. --Hooker.
- The state of being altered; a change made in the form or nature of a thing; changed condition. Ere long might perceive Strange alteration in me. --Milton. Appius Claudius admitted to the senate the sons of those who had been slaves; by which, and succeeding alterations, that council degenerated into a most corrupt. --Swift.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Alteration'
In music, an altered chord, an example of alteration, is a chord with one or more diatonic notes replaced by, or altered to, a neighboring pitch in the chromatic scale. For example the following progression uses four unaltered chords:
The next progression uses an altered IV chord and is an alteration of the previous progression:
The A♭ in the altered chord serves as a leading tone to G, which is the root of the next chord.
In jazz and jazz harmony, the term altered chord, notated as an alt chord (e.g. G7alt Play (help·info)), refers to a dominant chord, "in which neither the fifth nor the ninth appears unaltered". – namely, where the 5th and the 9th are raised or lowered by a single semitone, or omitted. Altered chords are thus constructed using the following notes, some of which may be omitted:[See more about Alteration at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Alteration'
'Alteration' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Alteration'
Alteration Sample Sentences in News
- A Nucleotide Change Could Initiate Fragile X Syndrome
Researchers reveal how the alteration of a single nucleotide--the basic building block of DNA--could initiate fragile X syndrome, the most common inherited form of intellectual disability. Read more on this news related to 'Alteration'
- Building Permits: Aug. 18, 2014
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:53:50 GMT Yakima SF Construction Inc., $6,000, 2311 W. Yakima Ave., residential alteration. Lynch Construction, $24,000, 3403 Gregory Ave., residential alteration. Superior Roofing LLC, $4,500, 6516 Century Ave., residential re-roof. Robin Rene and Marvin G. Conna... Read more on this news related to 'Alteration'
- Teuton Resources Corp.: New Gold Discovery-Tuck Zone-4km South of Pretium's Brucejack Property
Teuton Resources Corp. announces that 2014 prospecting has led to the discovery of an extensive zone of alteration and mineralization located 4km south of Pretium Resource's Brucejack property and on strike ... Read more on this news related to 'Alteration'