Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Allure'
Allure Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the power to entice or attract through personal charm [syn:
v : dispose or incline or entice to; "We were tempted by the
delicious-looking food" [syn: tempt]
- Allure \Al*lure"\, n.
Allurement. [R.] --Hayward.
- Allure \Al`lure"\, n. [F.; aller to go.]
The swing, the gait, the pose, the allure of these men.
- Allure \Al*lure"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Alluded; p. pr. & vb.
n. Alluring.] [OF. aleurrer, alurer, fr. a (L. ad) + leurre
lure. See Lure.]
To attempt to draw; to tempt by a lure or bait, that is, by
the offer of some good, real or apparent; to invite by
something flattering or acceptable; to entice; to attract.
With promised joys allured them on. --Falconer.
The golden sun in splendor likest Heaven Allured his
Syn: To attract; entice; tempt; decoy; seduce.
Usage: To Allure, Entice, Decoy, Seduce. These words
agree in the idea of acting upon the mind by some
strong controlling influence, and differ according to
the image under which is presented. They are all used
in a bad sense, except allure, which has sometimes
(though rarely) a good one. We are allured by the
prospect or offer (usually deceptive) of some future
good. We are commonly enticed into evil by appeals to
our passions. We are decoyed into danger by false
appearances or representations. We are seduced when
drawn aside from the path of rectitude. What allures
draws by gentle means; what entices leads us by
promises and persuasions; what decoys betrays us, as
it were, into a snare or net; what seduces deceives us
by artful appeals to the passions.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Allure'
- Allure: Allure may also refer to: Allure, the power to attract or entice ; the quality causing attraction; Allure Las Vegas , a condominium ...
- Allure (magazine): Allure is a women's beauty magazine . It was founded in 1991 by Linda Wells, and Wells remains the magazine's editor in chief. ...
- Allure (group): Allure is a New York -based R&B girl group that formed in the early 1990s as a quartet , now a trio. Original members were Alia Davis, ...
- Allure (album): Allure was the first album by the band Allure released in 1997. Allure's debut had the mixed blessing of being the first album on Mariah ...
- Zoot Allures: Zoot Allures is a 1976 rock album by Frank Zappa . This was Zappa's only release on the Warner Bros. Records label. Due to a lawsuit with ...
- MS Allure of the Seas: MS Allure of the Seas is a cruise ship and is sister ship to the MS Oasis of the Seas , the two of which hold the distinction of being ...
- Allure Las Vegas: Allure Las Vegas is a residential complex in Las Vegas, Nevada , USA . It consists of the Allure Las Vegas - Tower I, and the proposed ...
Words and phrases related to 'Allure'
Allure Sample Sentences in News
- The Allure Group Acquires the Greater Harlem Nursing Home
BROOKLYN, N.Y., Sept. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Allure Group has welcomed the New York City Nursing and Rehabilitation Facility Greater Harlem to its group of long and short term rehab facilities. The Allure Group is proud of its reputation as a consortium of healthcare facilities committed to providing quality rehabilitation and nursing services to its patient Read more on this news related to 'Allure'
- Syneron's elure™ Wins Allure Magazine's BEST OF BEAUTY Award For The Fourth Consecutive Year
This is the fourth consecutive win for elure in Allure Magazine's Best of Beauty issue. Allure Magazine selects winners based on real, noticeable results. Among the thousands of beauty products launched every year, these are the products that stand out as tried and tested editor favorites for their incredible efficacy. "We are proud to earn consecutive r Read more on this news related to 'Allure'
- Allure Announces 2014 Best of Beauty Award Winners
NEW YORK, Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Allure , The Beauty Expert, announced the winners of the 2014 Best of Beauty Awards tonight at an event hosted by editor in chief Linda Wells and VP and publisher Agnes ... Read more on this news related to 'Allure'