Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Allegation'
- (law) a formal accusation against somebody (often in a court of law); "an allegation of malpractice"
- statements affirming or denying certain matters of fact that you are prepared to prove [syn: allegement]
- Allegation \Al`le*ga"tion\, n. [L. allegatio, fr. allegare,
allegatum, to send a message, cite; later, to free by giving
reasons; ad + legare to send, commission. Cf. Allege and
- The act of alleging or positively asserting.
- That which is alleged, asserted, or declared; positive assertion; formal averment I thought their allegation but reasonable. --Steele.
- (Law) A statement by a party of what he undertakes to prove, -- usually applied to each separate averment; the charge or matter undertaken to be proved.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Allegation'
An allegation (also called adduction) is a claim of a fact by a party in a pleading, which the party claims to be able to prove. Allegations remain assertions without proof, until they can be proved.
There are also marital allegations: marriage bonds and allegations exist for couples who applied to marry by licence. They do not exist for couples who married by banns. The marriage allegation was the document in which the couple alleged (or frequently just the groom alleged on behalf of both of them) that there were no impediments to the marriage.
Generally in a civil complaint a plaintiff alleges facts sufficient to establish all the elements of the claim and thus states a cause of action. The plaintiff must then carry the burden of proof and the burden of persuasion in order to succeed in the lawsuit.[See more about Allegation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Allegation'
Allegation Sample Sentences in News
- Philippines rejects Taiwan allegation of murder
Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - Malacanang on Saturday rejected Taiwan's allegations that Filipino coast guards had intentionally killed a Taiwanese fisherman in waters off Balintang Island in northern Philippines last week, triggering a major diplomatic row between the two countries. Read more on this news related to 'Allegation'
- Toronto mayor: Crack cocaine allegation is 'ridiculous'
TORONTO, May 17 (UPI) -- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said Friday a Canadian newspaper report he appeared to smoke crack cocaine in a cellphone video is "ridiculous." Read more on this news related to 'Allegation'
- Molestation allegation starts Rowe row
OH NO, HE DIDN'T. That's what Debbie Rowe, Michael Jackson's ex-wife, is saying about allegations that the King of Pop molested dancer Wade Robson. Read more on this news related to 'Allegation'