Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Allayed'
- Allay \Al*lay"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Allayed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Allaying.] [OE. alaien, aleggen, to lay down, put down,
humble, put an end to, AS. [=a]lecgan; [=a]- (cf. Goth. us-,
G. er-, orig. meaning out) + lecgan to lay; but confused with
old forms of allege, alloy, alegge. See Lay.]
- To make quiet or put at rest; to pacify or appease; to quell; to calm; as, to allay popular excitement; to allay the tumult of the passions.
- To alleviate; to abate; to mitigate; as, to allay the severity of affliction or the bitterness of adversity. It would allay the burning quality of that fell poison. --Shak. Syn: To alleviate; check; repress; assuage; appease; abate; subdue; destroy; compose; soothe; calm; quiet. See Alleviate.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Allayed'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Allayed'
The term appeasement is commonly understood to refer to a diplomatic policy aimed at avoiding war by making concessions to another power. It was used by European democracies in the 1930s who wished to avoid war with the dictatorships of Germany and Italy, bearing in mind the horrors of the First World War.
The term is most often applied to the foreign policy of British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain towards Nazi Germany between 1937 and 1939. His policies of avoiding war with Germany have been the subject of intense debate for seventy years among academics, politicians and diplomats. The historian's assessment of Chamberlain has ranged from condemnation for allowing Hitler to grow too strong, to the judgement that he had no alternative and acted in Britain's best interests. At the time, these concessions were widely seen as positive, and the Munich Pact among Germany, Great Britain, France and Italy prompted Chamberlain to announce that he had secured "peace for our time".[See more about Allayed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Allayed'
Allayed Sample Sentences in News
- Musa tips Eagles for World Cup semis
CSKA Moscow and Super Eagles forward, Ahmed Musa, has allayed fears about Nigeria’s performance at the World Cup in Brazil. Musa told MTNFootball.com that the Eagles will make record as the first African country to play in the semi-finals of the World Cup. He said, “My target is to help the Super Eagles to reach... [Read More...] Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'
- '16th Congress will pass FOI bill,' Speaker vows
Speaker Feliciano Belmonte on Tuesday allayed fears the Freedom of Information bill will again be killed in the House of Representatives, saying he is sticking to his earlier vow that the chamber will pass the measure during his current term. Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'
- Arsenal ace Wilshere allays injury fears
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has allayed injury fears after suffering a heavy knock in England's win over Denmark. Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'