Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Allayed'
- Allay \Al*lay"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Allayed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Allaying.] [OE. alaien, aleggen, to lay down, put down,
humble, put an end to, AS. [=a]lecgan; [=a]- (cf. Goth. us-,
G. er-, orig. meaning out) + lecgan to lay; but confused with
old forms of allege, alloy, alegge. See Lay.]
- To make quiet or put at rest; to pacify or appease; to quell; to calm; as, to allay popular excitement; to allay the tumult of the passions.
- To alleviate; to abate; to mitigate; as, to allay the severity of affliction or the bitterness of adversity. It would allay the burning quality of that fell poison. --Shak. Syn: To alleviate; check; repress; assuage; appease; abate; subdue; destroy; compose; soothe; calm; quiet. See Alleviate.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Allayed'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Allayed'
The term appeasement is commonly understood to refer to a diplomatic policy aimed at avoiding war by making concessions to another power. It was used by European democracies in the 1930s who wished to avoid war with the dictatorships of Germany and Italy, bearing in mind the horrors of the First World War.
The term is most often applied to the foreign policy of British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain towards Nazi Germany between 1937 and 1939. His policies of avoiding war with Germany have been the subject of intense debate for seventy years among academics, politicians and diplomats. The historian's assessment of Chamberlain has ranged from condemnation for allowing Hitler to grow too strong, to the judgement that he had no alternative and acted in Britain's best interests. At the time, these concessions were widely seen as positive, and the Munich Pact among Germany, Great Britain, France and Italy prompted Chamberlain to announce that he had secured "peace for our time".[See more about Allayed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Allayed'
Allayed Sample Sentences in News
- Fears over Kabini dam’s safety allayed
The Irrigation Department has allayed fears over the safety of the Kabini reservoir following reports of a “leak” from the dam. Executive Engineer Raghupathy told The Hindu that th... Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'
- Is China set up for a 'perfect storm' in 2016?
Recent positive data from China may have allayed some doubts about the state of the economy, but PNC Financial Services Group is staying cautious, warning of a "perfect storm" that could surface ... Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'
- Abia dismisses threat by IPMAN on fuel scarcity
The Abia State Government has allayed fears of petrol consumers in the state over the threat by the Independent Petrol Marketers Association of Nigeria, of a looming fuel scarcity. IPMAN threatened to embark on a strike that may cripple the economic activities in the state if the imposition of a caretaker committee chairman was not reversed.... [Read More...] Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'