Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Allayed'
- Allay \Al*lay"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Allayed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Allaying.] [OE. alaien, aleggen, to lay down, put down,
humble, put an end to, AS. [=a]lecgan; [=a]- (cf. Goth. us-,
G. er-, orig. meaning out) + lecgan to lay; but confused with
old forms of allege, alloy, alegge. See Lay.]
- To make quiet or put at rest; to pacify or appease; to quell; to calm; as, to allay popular excitement; to allay the tumult of the passions.
- To alleviate; to abate; to mitigate; as, to allay the severity of affliction or the bitterness of adversity. It would allay the burning quality of that fell poison. --Shak. Syn: To alleviate; check; repress; assuage; appease; abate; subdue; destroy; compose; soothe; calm; quiet. See Alleviate.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Allayed'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Allayed'
The term appeasement is commonly understood to refer to a diplomatic policy aimed at avoiding war by making concessions to another power. It was used by European democracies in the 1930s who wished to avoid war with the dictatorships of Germany and Italy, bearing in mind the horrors of the First World War.
The term is most often applied to the foreign policy of British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain towards Nazi Germany between 1937 and 1939. His policies of avoiding war with Germany have been the subject of intense debate for seventy years among academics, politicians and diplomats. The historian's assessment of Chamberlain has ranged from condemnation for allowing Hitler to grow too strong, to the judgement that he had no alternative and acted in Britain's best interests. At the time, these concessions were widely seen as positive, and the Munich Pact among Germany, Great Britain, France and Italy prompted Chamberlain to announce that he had secured "peace for our time".[See more about Allayed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Allayed'
Allayed Sample Sentences in News
- Kenya: Police Allay Fears of Imminent Attacks in Ngao, Tana River County
[The Star]POLICE in Tana Delta in Tana River have allayed fears of a looming attack after three suspected attackers were nabbed by Ngao residents. Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'
- BSP officials downplay ATM fraud in PH
MANILA, Philippines---Central bank officials allayed the situation of automated teller machine (ATM) fraud in the country, as they told the lawmakers on Thursday that the incidence rate is only 0.07 percent in 2013. During the House of Representatives inquiry by the bank and financial intermediaries committee on Thursday, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) official Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'
- Phivolcs: No tsunami threat from Micronesia quake
State seismologists on Sunday allayed fears of a tsunami threat from a powerful quake that hit the Federated States of Micronesia. Read more on this news related to 'Allayed'