Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Alimentation'
- a source of materials to nourish the body [syn: nutriment, nourishment, nutrition, sustenance, aliment, victuals]
- the act of supplying food and nourishment [syn: feeding]
- Alimentation \Al`i*men*ta"tion\, n. [Cf. F. alimentation, LL.
- The act or process of affording nutriment; the function of the alimentary canal.
- State or mode of being nourished. --Bacon.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Alimentation'
The human gastrointestinal tract refers to the stomach and intestine,
In an adult male human, the gastrointestinal (GI) tract is 5 metres (20 ft) long in a live subject, or up to 9 metres (30 ft) without the effect of muscle tone, and consists of the upper and lower GI tracts. The tract may also be divided into foregut, midgut, and hindgut, reflecting the embryological origin of each segment of the tract.
The GI tract releases hormones as to help regulate the digestion process. These hormones, including gastrin, secretin, cholecystokinin, and grehlin, are mediated through either intracrine or autocrine mechanisms, indicating that the cells releasing these hormones are conserved structures throughout evolution.
The upper gastrointestinal tract consists of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum.[See more about Alimentation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Alimentation'