Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Air'
adj : relating to or characteristic of or occurring in the air;
"air war"; "air safety"; "air travel" [syn: air(a)]
[ant: land(a), sea(a)]
- a mixture of gases (especially oxygen) required for breathing; the stuff that the wind consists of; "air pollution"; "a smell of chemicals in the air"; "open a window and let in some air"; "I need some fresh air"
- travel via aircraft; "air travel involves too much waiting in airports"; "if you've time to spare go by air" [syn: air travel, aviation]
- the region above the ground; "her hand stopped in mid air"; "he threw the ball into the air"
- medium for radio and television broadcasting; "the program was on the air from 9 til midnight"; "the president used the airwaves to take his message to the people" [syn: airwave]
- a slight wind (usually refreshing); "the breeze was cooled by the lake"; "as he waited he could feel the air on his neck" [syn: breeze, zephyr, gentle wind]
- a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing; "an air of mystery"; "the house had a neglected air"; "an atmosphere of defeat pervaded the candidate's headquarters"; "the place had an aura of romance" [syn: aura, atmosphere]
- the mass of air surrounding the Earth; "there was great heat as the comet entered the atmosphere"; "it was exposed to the air" [syn: atmosphere]
- a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence; "she was humming an air from Beethoven" [syn: tune, melody, strain, melodic line, line, melodic phrase]
- once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles) v
- expose to fresh air; "aerate your old sneakers" [syn: air out, aerate]
- be broadcast; "This show will air Saturdays at 2 P.M."
- broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television; "We cannot air this X-rated song" [syn: send, broadcast, beam, transmit]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Air'
The atmosphere of Earth is a layer of gases surrounding the planet Earth that is retained by Earth's gravity. The atmosphere protects life on Earth by absorbing ultraviolet solar radiation, warming the surface through heat retention (greenhouse effect), and reducing temperature extremes between day and night.
Atmospheric stratification describes the structure of the atmosphere, dividing it into distinct layers, each with specific characteristics such as temperature or composition. The atmosphere has a mass of about 5×1018 kg, three quarters of which is within about 11 km (6.8 mi; 36,000 ft) of the surface. The atmosphere becomes thinner and thinner with increasing altitude, with no definite boundary between the atmosphere and outer space. An altitude of 120 km (75 mi) is where atmospheric effects become noticeable during atmospheric reentry of spacecraft. The Kármán line, at 100 km (62 mi), also is often regarded as the boundary between atmosphere and outer space.[See more about Air at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Air'
'Air' in famous quotation sentence
* The best way to keep children home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant--and let the air out of the tires. - Dorothy Parker
* A reporter is always concerned with tomorrow. There's nothing tangible of yesterday. All I can say I've done is agitate the air ten or fifteen minutes and then boom -- it's gone. - Edward R. Murrow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Air'
Air Sample Sentences in News
- Air Techniques Installs Large Clinical System at Milwaukee Area Technical College
Air Techniques, Inc., a leading innovator and manufacturer of dental equipment recently installed their new line of clinical systems into Milwaukee Area Technical College. Air Techniques is North America's largest manufacturer of air compressors and evacuation systems for dental practices. Read more on this news related to 'Air'
- Boeing, Airbus Vie for $2 Billion Air One Order in India
India’s Air One Aviation Pvt. is seeking $2 billion of jets to take on Singapore Airlines Ltd. (SIA) ’s venture in the South Asian nation, stoking competition in a market where carriers lost almost $10 billion in seven years. Read more on this news related to 'Air'
- US Air Force Museum to Restore Retired Titan Rocket
Air Force in Dayton, Ohio announced Tuesday (Aug. 26) plans to begin restoring the 18-story-tall Titan 4Bspace launch vehicle that it's had in its collection since 2005. The towering rocket, which has been stored in gigantic pieces in a World War II era hangar at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, will be exhibited on its side when placed in the museum's new Read more on this news related to 'Air'