Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ague'
Ague Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a fit of shivering
- successive stages of chills and fever that is a symptom of malaria [syn: chills and fever]
- a mark (') placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation [syn: acute accent, acute]
- Ague \A"gue\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Agued.]
To strike with an ague, or with a cold fit. --Heywood.
- Ague \A"gue\, n. [OE. agu, ague, OF. agu, F. aigu, sharp, OF.
fem. ague, LL. (febris) acuta, a sharp, acute fever, fr. L.
acutus sharp. See Acute.]
- An acute fever. [Obs.] ``Brenning agues.'' --P. Plowman.
- (Med.) An intermittent fever, attended by alternate cold and hot fits.
- The cold fit or rigor of the intermittent fever; as, fever and ague.
- A chill, or state of shaking, as with cold. --Dryden. Ague cake, an enlargement of the spleen produced by ague. Ague drop, a solution of the arsenite of potassa used for ague. Ague fit, a fit of the ague. --Shak. Ague spell, a spell or charm against ague. --Gay. Ague tree, the sassafras, -- sometimes so called from the use of its root formerly, in cases of ague. [Obs.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ague'
- Ague: Ague may refer to: Fever Malaria See also: Kan Ague, a residential area of Patikul, Sulu , Philippines.
- San Andrés de Agues: San Andrés de Agues (variants: Agüés; Agüis; San Andrés d'Agues) is one of three parishes (administrative divisions) in Sobrescobio , a ...
- Andrew Aguecheek: Sir Andrew Aguecheek (also spelled Ague-cheek) is a comic character in William Shakespeare 's play Twelfth Night, or What You Will . ...
- Héctor Aguer: Image:Héctor Aguer 1.jpg | Bishop Héctor Aguer Héctor Rubén Aguer (born 24 May 1943) is an Argentine Roman Catholic bishop , currently the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Ague'