Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
- having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of your ends; "an aggressive businessman"; "an aggressive basketball player"; "he was aggressive and imperious; positive in his convictions"; "aggressive drivers" [ant: unaggressive]
- marked by aggressive ambition and energy and initiative; "an aggressive young exective"; "a pushful insurance agent"; "a pushing youth intent on getting on in the world" [syn: enterprising, pushful, pushing, pushy]
- tending to spread quickly; "an aggressive tumor" [syn: fast-growing(a)]
- characteristic of an enemy or one eager to fight; "aggressive acts against another country"; "a belligerent tone" [syn: belligerent]
- Aggressive \Ag*gres"sive\, a. [Cf. F. agressif.]
Tending or disposed to aggress; characterized by aggression;
making assaults; unjustly attacking; as, an aggressive
policy, war, person, nation. -- Ag*gres"sive*ly, adv. --
No aggressive movement was made. --Macaulay.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
In psychology, as well as other social and behavioral sciences, aggression (also called combativeness) refers to behavior between members of the same species that is intended to cause pain or harm. Predatory behavior between members of one species towards another species is also described as "aggression." To exhibit aggression towards members of another species is common, such as in these examples: "Lions are aggressive hunters of antelopes," and "Eagles are aggressive hunters of small mammals."
Aggression takes a variety of forms among human beings, and it can be physical, mental, or verbal. Aggression should not be confused with assertiveness.
There are two broad categories of aggression. These include hostile, affective, or retaliatory aggression and instrumental, predatory, or goal-oriented aggression.[See more about Aggressive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Aggressive'
'Aggressive' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Aggressive'
Aggressive Sample Sentences in News
- Aggressive People May Process Violence's Impact Differently
Title: Aggressive People May Process Violence's Impact Differently Category: Health News Created: 9/11/2014 2:36:00 PM Last Editorial Review: 9/12/2014 12:00:00 AM Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Alligator report is false, but police do get one 'aggressive' lizard
Police officers responding to reports Monday of an alligator on the loose in Huntington Park were probably relieved when they found themselves wrangling a 3-foot-long Tegu lizard instead. Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has rare, aggressive cancer
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has a very rare and aggressive type of cancerous tumor in his abdomen, his doctor said on Wednesday, and the controversial municipal leader will start chemotherapy treatment within days. Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'