Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
- having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of your ends; "an aggressive businessman"; "an aggressive basketball player"; "he was aggressive and imperious; positive in his convictions"; "aggressive drivers" [ant: unaggressive]
- marked by aggressive ambition and energy and initiative; "an aggressive young exective"; "a pushful insurance agent"; "a pushing youth intent on getting on in the world" [syn: enterprising, pushful, pushing, pushy]
- tending to spread quickly; "an aggressive tumor" [syn: fast-growing(a)]
- characteristic of an enemy or one eager to fight; "aggressive acts against another country"; "a belligerent tone" [syn: belligerent]
- Aggressive \Ag*gres"sive\, a. [Cf. F. agressif.]
Tending or disposed to aggress; characterized by aggression;
making assaults; unjustly attacking; as, an aggressive
policy, war, person, nation. -- Ag*gres"sive*ly, adv. --
No aggressive movement was made. --Macaulay.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Aggressive'
In psychology, as well as other social and behavioral sciences, aggression (also called combativeness) refers to behavior between members of the same species that is intended to cause pain or harm. Predatory behavior between members of one species towards another species is also described as "aggression." To exhibit aggression towards members of another species is common, such as in these examples: "Lions are aggressive hunters of antelopes," and "Eagles are aggressive hunters of small mammals."
Aggression takes a variety of forms among human beings, and it can be physical, mental, or verbal. Aggression should not be confused with assertiveness.
There are two broad categories of aggression. These include hostile, affective, or retaliatory aggression and instrumental, predatory, or goal-oriented aggression.[See more about Aggressive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Aggressive'
'Aggressive' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Aggressive'
Aggressive Sample Sentences in News
- Rex wants Jets to be smart, but aggressive
Just call 'em the Big, Bad New York Jets. You've got to take care of your players.'' The Jets were called for 12 penalties, including a whopping six personal fouls, in a 25-17 win Saturday night. The Jets thought it might have been a case where they were making a statement. ''We refer to them as 'The Bash Brothers,''' center Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Sprint Announces Aggressive Moves to Try and Leave Mark in Wireless World
Struggling at the bottom of the wireless world, Sprint has unveiled three aggressive new offerings, including a phone that may be the closest thing yet to all screen. Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'
- Lower Merion police to crack down on aggressive driving on City Avenue; will increase seat belt enforcement in township
To increase safety on area roadways, the Lower Merion Police Department is cracking down on aggressive driving throughout the months of August and September in the area of City Avenue - and the roadways surrounding City Avenue. Read more on this news related to 'Aggressive'