Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Aggrandizing'
Aggrandizing Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Aggrandize \Ag"gran*dize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Aggrandized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Aggrandizing.] [F. agrandir; [`a] (L. ad) +
grandir to increase, L. grandire, fr. grandis great. See
Grand, and cf. Finish.]
- To make great; to enlarge; to increase; as, to aggrandize our conceptions, authority, distress.
- To make great or greater in power, rank, honor, or wealth; -- applied to persons, countries, etc. His scheme for aggrandizing his son. --Prescott.
- To make appear great or greater; to exalt. --Lamb. Syn: To augment; exalt; promote; advance.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Aggrandizing'
Words and phrases related to 'Aggrandizing'
Aggrandizing Sample Sentences in News
- Stephen Colbert Visits Letterman as Himself: 'I'm Going to Do Whatever You've Done'
Stephen Colbert — very much as the man, and not the character — made his first appearance Tuesday night on the Late Show With David Letterman , his first visit since being named the late-night legend's successor on CBS. Colbert was deferential in his entrance, opting for a single wave over the self-aggrandizing antics he's come to be known for in nin Read more on this news related to 'Aggrandizing'
- Fact-Checking Dominique Ansel's Dramatic Cronut Instagram
The Cronut™ has inspired slavish devotion and flowery verse, but yesterday's self-aggrandizing, maudlin press release on the bakery's re-opening after a " severe mouse infestation "—and the accompanying Instagram photo from Dominique Ansel Bakery on today's special "Rocky Cronut" —awakened our appetite for the Truth. Join us, Read more on this news related to 'Aggrandizing'
- A walk in the Maine woods
BY PAUL KANDO Some time ago, viewing the devastation in Superstorm Sandy’s wake, I couldn’t help thinking that the root of such problems is the self-aggrandizing tendency of humans and the difficulty of giving up myths that support it. read more Read more on this news related to 'Aggrandizing'