Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Afterwards'
adv : happening at a time subsequent to a reference time; "he
apologized subsequently"; "he's going to the store but
he'll be back here later"; "it didn't happen until
afterward"; "two hours after that" [syn: subsequently,
later, afterward, after, later on]
- Afterwards \Aft"er*wards\, Afterward \Aft"er*ward\, adv. [AS.
[ae]fteweard, a., behind. See Aft, and -ward (suffix).
The final s in afterwards is adverbial, orig. a genitive
At a later or succeeding time.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Afterwards'
Afterwards (French: Et après) is a 2009 English-language psychological thriller film directed by Gilles Bourdos and starring Romain Duris, John Malkovich and Evangeline Lilly. Based on Guillaume Musso's novel Et après..., the story tells of a workaholic lawyer who is told by a self-proclaimed visionary that he must try to prevent his imminent death. The film was shot in New York City, Montreal and various New Mexico locations over June–July 2007, and had a French release in January 2009.
Nathan Del Amico (Duris) is a career-driven New York lawyer who has neglected his wife (Lilly) and daughter as a result of his professional success and increasing obsession with his work. He meets Joseph Kay (Malkovich), a doctor who claims that he can foresee other people's deaths, and that he is a "messenger" sent to help Nathan put his life in order before he dies.[See more about Afterwards at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Afterwards'
'Afterwards' in famous quotation sentence
* Don't be discouraged by a failure. It can be a positive experience. Failure is, in a sense, the highway to success, inasmuch as every discovery of what is false leads us to seek earnestly after what is true, and every fresh experience points out some form of error which we shall afterwards carefully avoid. - John Keats
* Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems. - Rene Descartes
Click here for more related quotations on 'Afterwards'
Afterwards Sample Sentences in News
- Couple call 911 because they didn’t get hash browns at McDonalds
“We had no other choice,” Michael Smith told reporters afterwards. Read more on this news related to 'Afterwards'
- Netherlands vs. Colombia, International friendly: Final score 0-0, Ten-man Oranje hold out
Van der Vaart was eager to get on the scoresheet, and blazed wide from a far better position shortly afterwards, but the Netherlands was well in control of the game. Read more on this news related to 'Afterwards'
- Galatasaray v Juve rescheduled for Wednesday
UEFA have rescheduled the remainder of the Galatasaray v Juventus Champions League Group B clash to 1400 CET (1200 GMT) on Wednesday after heavy snowfall brought a halt to Tuesday's fixture. Shortly afterwards UEFA scheduled the match for 1300 CET (1100 GMT), however it is believed police raised concerns about potential security risks. UEFA later rescheduled t Read more on this news related to 'Afterwards'