Afraid Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- filled with regret or concern; used often to soften an unpleasant statement; "I''m afraid I won''t be able to come"; "he was afraid he would have to let her go"; "I''m afraid you''re wrong"
- feeling worry or concern or insecurity; "She was afraid that I might be embarrassed"; "terribly afraid of offending someone"; "I am afraid we have witnessed only the first phase of the conflict"
- having feelings of aversion or unwillingness; "afraid of hard work"; "affaid to show emotion"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Afraid'?
Afraid Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Fear is an emotion much like anxiety. A person who fears something does not want it to happen, because they think something bad will happen to them if it does. Fear is the body's way of protecting itself from doing things that may be dangerous. For example, if one has a fear of jumping off a cliff, he/she will not do it. This saves one from death. In this case, fear is a good thing but in others, it can be bad. An example of fear being bad is if it stops one from doing something important, like going to see a doctor.
Words and phrases related to 'Afraid'
'Afraid' example sentence in quotations
* Don't join the book burners. Don't think you're going to conceal faults by concealing evidence that they ever existed. Don't be afraid to go in your library and read every book... - Dwight D Eisenhower
* In this world there is always danger for those who are afraid of it. - George Bernard Shaw
Click here for more related quotations on 'Afraid'
Afraid Sample Sentences in News
- Gruden: Redskins not afraid to bench RG3
Gruden: Redskins not afraid to bench RG3 Read more on this news related to 'Afraid'
- Opinion: When sports fans turn vile, we all lose
Afraid of the harassment. Afraid of the online trolling. Afraid of the bullies. Two women reportedly confided during separate campus retreats at Duke University that they were victims of sexual assault at the hands of a basketball player, according to an investigative report by The Duke Chronicle. Read more on this news related to 'Afraid'
- Want more music on film? Five documentaries after 'Not Afraid'
As Eminem puts out "Not Afraid," a documentary on the fortunes of his record label, we select five crucial musical accounts from across musical genres. Despite its similarity to the two-part Tarantino action film "Kill Bill," this Bill Withers documentary can actually trace its title to the soul and R&B singer-songwriter's second album from Read more on this news related to 'Afraid'