Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Advise'
- give advice to; "The teacher counsels troubled students"; "The lawyer counselled me when I was accused of tax fraud" [syn: counsel]
- give information or notice to; "I advised him that the rent was due" [syn: notify, give notice, send word, apprise, apprize]
- make a proposal, declare a plan for something [syn: propose, suggest]
- Advise \Ad*vise"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Advised; p. pr. & vb.
n. Advising.] [OE. avisen to perceive, consider, inform, F.
aviser, fr. LL. advisare. advisare; ad + visare, fr. L.
videre, visum, to see. See Advice, and cf. Avise.]
- To give advice to; to offer an opinion, as worthy or expedient to be followed; to counsel; to warn. ``I shall no more advise thee.'' --Milton.
- To give information or notice to; to inform; -- with of before the thing communicated; as, we were advised of the risk. To advise one's self, to bethink one's self; to take counsel with one's self; to reflect; to consider. [Obs.] Bid thy master well advise himself. --Shak. Syn: To counsel; admonish; apprise; acquaint.
- Advise \Ad*vise"\, v. t.
- To consider; to deliberate. [Obs.] Advise if this be worth attempting. --Milton.
- To take counsel; to consult; -- followed by with; as, to advise with friends.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Advise'
ADVISE (Analysis, Dissemination, Visualization, Insight, and Semantic Enhancement) is a research and development program within the United States Department of Homeland Security Threat and Vulnerability Testing and Assessment (TVTA) portfolio. It is reported to be developing a massive data mining system, which would collect and analyze data on everyone in the United States and perform a "threat analysis" of them.
ADVISE will possess the ability to store one quadrillion data entities
The exact scope and degree of completion of the program is unclear. ADVISE is in the 2004-2006 Federal DHS Budget as a component of the $47 million TVTA program.
The program was officially scrapped in September 2007 after the agency's internal Inspector General found that pilot testing of the system had been performed using data on real people without required privacy safeguards in place.[See more about Advise at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Advise'
'Advise' in famous quotation sentence
* The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines - so they should go as far as possible from home to build their first buildings. - Frank Lloyd Wright
* I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. - Harry S Truman
Click here for more related quotations on 'Advise'
Advise Sample Sentences in News
- Telesat owner Loral hires Perella to advise board on sale -sources
Loral Space & Communications Inc has hired boutique investment bank Perella Weinberg Partners to advise its independent directors as it explores a potential sale of the company, people close to the matter said on Monday. Reuters reported in January that Loral, which holds a majority stake in Canadian satellite communication services company Telesat Holdings Inc, i Read more on this news related to 'Advise'
- Telesat owner Loral's board hires Perella to advise on sale-sources
Loral Space & Communications Inc has hired boutique investment bank Perella Weinberg Partners to advise its independent board of directors as it explores a potential sale of the company, people close to the matter said. Reuters reported in January that Loral, which holds a majority stake in Canadian satellite communication services company Telesat Holdings Inc, is Read more on this news related to 'Advise'
- Blair Offered to Advise Brooks, Murdoch in Hacking Scandal
Tony Blair offered to unofficially advise Rebekah Brooks and News Corp. (NWSA) Chairman Rupert Murdoch at the height of the phone-hacking scandal in 2011 that led to the closure of the News of the World tabloid, prosecutors said. Read more on this news related to 'Advise'