Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Advent'
- arrival that has been awaited (especially of something momentous); "the advent of the computer" [syn: coming]
- the season including the four Sundays preceding Christmas
- (Christian theology) the reappearance of Jesus as judge for the Last Judgment [syn: Second Coming, Second Coming of Christ, Second Advent, Parousia]
- Advent \Ad`vent\, n. [L. adventus, fr. advenire, adventum: cf.
F. avent. See Advene.]
- (Eccl.) The period including the four Sundays before Christmas. Advent Sunday (Eccl.), the first Sunday in the season of Advent, being always the nearest Sunday to the feast of St. Andrew (Now. 30). --Shipley.
- The first or the expected second coming of Christ.
- Coming; any important arrival; approach. Death's dreadful advent. --Young. Expecting still his advent home. --Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Advent'
Advent (from the Latin word adventus meaning "coming") is a season observed in many Western Christian churches, a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. It is the beginning of the Western liturgical year and commences on Advent Sunday, called Levavi. The Eastern churches' equivalent of Advent is called the Nativity Fast, but it differs both in length and observances and does not begin the church year, which starts instead on September 1.
The progression of the season may be marked with an Advent calendar, a practice introduced by German Lutherans. At least in the Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran and Methodist calendars, Advent starts on the fourth Sunday before December 25, the Sunday from November 27 to December 3 inclusive.[See more about Advent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Advent'
Meaning of the Name 'Advent'
- Meaning: Born during Advent
- Origin: French
- Gender: Male
'Advent' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Advent'
Advent Sample Sentences in News
- Advent Capital Hires Robert Gourlay as Head of European Business Development
Advent Capital Management LLC , an investment management firm with $8.4 billion in assets under management, today announced the appointment of Robert Gourlay as Managing Director and Head of European Business Development. Read more on this news related to 'Advent'
- Advent Showcases Product Upgrades Across Its Solution Suite at AdventConnect 2014
AdventConnect -- Advent Software, Inc. , a leading provider of software and services for the global investment management industry, today commenced its annual AdventConnect conference taking place through ... Read more on this news related to 'Advent'
- Advent Announces Next Generation of the Black Diamond Wealth Management Platform: Designed to Elevate the Investor ...
AdventConnect -- Advent Software, Inc. today at its annual client conference in Las Vegas, NV shared a preview of the next generation of its Black Diamond wealth management platform, which marks a major ... Read more on this news related to 'Advent'