Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Adjunct'
Adjunct Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- relating to something that is added but is not essential; "an ancillary pump"; "an adjuvant discipline to forms of mysticism"; "The mind and emotions are auxilliary to each other" [syn: accessory, ancillary, adjuvant, appurtenant, auxiliary, subsidiary]
- of or relating to a person who is subordinate to another [syn: assistant] n
- something added to another thing but not an essential part of it
- a person who is an assistant or subordinate to another
- a construction that is part of a sentence but not essential to its meaning and can be omitted without making the sentence ungrammatical
- Adjunct \Ad"junct`\, a. [L. adjunctus, p. p. of adjungere. See
Conjoined; attending; consequent.
Though that my death were adjunct to my act. --Shak.
Adjunct notes (Mus.), short notes between those essential
to the harmony; auxiliary notes; passing notes.
- Adjunct \Ad"junct`\, n.
- Something joined or added to another thing, but not essentially a part of it. Learning is but an adjunct to our self. --Shak.
- A person joined to another in some duty or service; a colleague; an associate. --Wotton.
- (Gram.) A word or words added to quality or amplify the force of other words; as, the History of the American Revolution, where the words in italics are the adjunct or adjuncts of ``History.''
- (Metaph.) A quality or property of the body or the mind, whether natural or acquired; as, color, in the body, judgment in the mind.
- (Mus.) A key or scale closely related to another as principal; a relative or attendant key. [R.] See Attendant keys, under Attendant, a.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Adjunct'
- Adjunct: Adjunct may refer to: Adjunct (grammar), words used as modifiers. Adjunct professor , a professor who does not hold a permanent position at a ...
- Adjuncts: Adjuncts are unmalted grains (such as corn, rice, rye, oats, barley, and wheat) used in brewing beer which supplement the main mash ...
- Adjunct (grammar): In linguistics , an adjunct is an optional, or structurally dispensable, part of a sentence that, when removed, will not affect the ...
- Noun adjunct: In grammar , a noun adjunct or attributive noun or noun premodifier is a noun that modifies another noun and is optional — meaning that ...
- Adjunct Records: Adjunct Records is an electronic record label started by Kenneth James Gibson and Konstantin Gabbro. Adjunct is a forward thinking record ...
- Adjunction space: In mathematics , an adjunction space is a common construction in topology where one topological space is attached or "glued" onto another ...
Words and phrases related to 'Adjunct'
Adjunct Sample Sentences in News
- Adjunct professors unionize for respect, benefits; where will money come from?
More adjunct and part-time professors across America are moving to unionize to improve their pay and more Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'
- Adjunct professors unionize for respect and benefits
More adjunct and part-time professors across America are moving to unionize to improve their pay, their benefits and to have a voice that administrations will listen to. Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'
- Adjunct professors begin to unionize in higher numbers
As the adjunct faculty members at schools such as Boston University increases, a trend has emerged of adjunct professors unionizing in rebellion against the unequal treatment many believe they receive in comparison to full-time faculty, according to a recent New York Times article. While tenured professors are guaranteed a job and its benefits for life, […] Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'