Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Adjunct'
Adjunct Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- relating to something that is added but is not essential; "an ancillary pump"; "an adjuvant discipline to forms of mysticism"; "The mind and emotions are auxilliary to each other" [syn: accessory, ancillary, adjuvant, appurtenant, auxiliary, subsidiary]
- of or relating to a person who is subordinate to another [syn: assistant] n
- something added to another thing but not an essential part of it
- a person who is an assistant or subordinate to another
- a construction that is part of a sentence but not essential to its meaning and can be omitted without making the sentence ungrammatical
- Adjunct \Ad"junct`\, a. [L. adjunctus, p. p. of adjungere. See
Conjoined; attending; consequent.
Though that my death were adjunct to my act. --Shak.
Adjunct notes (Mus.), short notes between those essential
to the harmony; auxiliary notes; passing notes.
- Adjunct \Ad"junct`\, n.
- Something joined or added to another thing, but not essentially a part of it. Learning is but an adjunct to our self. --Shak.
- A person joined to another in some duty or service; a colleague; an associate. --Wotton.
- (Gram.) A word or words added to quality or amplify the force of other words; as, the History of the American Revolution, where the words in italics are the adjunct or adjuncts of ``History.''
- (Metaph.) A quality or property of the body or the mind, whether natural or acquired; as, color, in the body, judgment in the mind.
- (Mus.) A key or scale closely related to another as principal; a relative or attendant key. [R.] See Attendant keys, under Attendant, a.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Adjunct'
- Adjunct: Adjunct may refer to: Adjunct (grammar), words used as modifiers. Adjunct professor , a professor who does not hold a permanent position at a ...
- Adjuncts: Adjuncts are unmalted grains (such as corn, rice, rye, oats, barley, and wheat) used in brewing beer which supplement the main mash ...
- Adjunct (grammar): In linguistics , an adjunct is an optional, or structurally dispensable, part of a sentence that, when removed, will not affect the ...
- Noun adjunct: In grammar , a noun adjunct or attributive noun or noun premodifier is a noun that modifies another noun and is optional — meaning that ...
- Adjunct Records: Adjunct Records is an electronic record label started by Kenneth James Gibson and Konstantin Gabbro. Adjunct is a forward thinking record ...
- Adjunction space: In mathematics , an adjunction space is a common construction in topology where one topological space is attached or "glued" onto another ...
Words and phrases related to 'Adjunct'
Adjunct Sample Sentences in News
- Spectranetics Achieves Statistical Endpoints of EXCITE ISR Adjunct Analysis
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- The Spectranetics Corporation today announced that the EXCITE ISR trial achieved the statistical endpoints of the adjunct analysis. The trial evaluates laser atherectomy plus ... Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'
- Part-time faculty push to unionize at LMU
SEIU files complaints against the school following an aborted union vote By Gary Walker A campaign to unionize adjunct faculty members at colleges across the nation has hit a roadblock… Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'
- Adjunct Faculty At Lesley Vote To Unionize
Among the adjunct faculty's reasons for forming a union, raises have not kept up with inflation and full-time faculty can make $3,000 more per course than adjunct faculty. Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'