Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Adjunct'
Adjunct Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- relating to something that is added but is not essential; "an ancillary pump"; "an adjuvant discipline to forms of mysticism"; "The mind and emotions are auxilliary to each other" [syn: accessory, ancillary, adjuvant, appurtenant, auxiliary, subsidiary]
- of or relating to a person who is subordinate to another [syn: assistant] n
- something added to another thing but not an essential part of it
- a person who is an assistant or subordinate to another
- a construction that is part of a sentence but not essential to its meaning and can be omitted without making the sentence ungrammatical
- Adjunct \Ad"junct`\, a. [L. adjunctus, p. p. of adjungere. See
Conjoined; attending; consequent.
Though that my death were adjunct to my act. --Shak.
Adjunct notes (Mus.), short notes between those essential
to the harmony; auxiliary notes; passing notes.
- Adjunct \Ad"junct`\, n.
- Something joined or added to another thing, but not essentially a part of it. Learning is but an adjunct to our self. --Shak.
- A person joined to another in some duty or service; a colleague; an associate. --Wotton.
- (Gram.) A word or words added to quality or amplify the force of other words; as, the History of the American Revolution, where the words in italics are the adjunct or adjuncts of ``History.''
- (Metaph.) A quality or property of the body or the mind, whether natural or acquired; as, color, in the body, judgment in the mind.
- (Mus.) A key or scale closely related to another as principal; a relative or attendant key. [R.] See Attendant keys, under Attendant, a.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Adjunct'
- Adjunct: Adjunct may refer to: Adjunct (grammar), words used as modifiers. Adjunct professor , a professor who does not hold a permanent position at a ...
- Adjuncts: Adjuncts are unmalted grains (such as corn, rice, rye, oats, barley, and wheat) used in brewing beer which supplement the main mash ...
- Adjunct (grammar): In linguistics , an adjunct is an optional, or structurally dispensable, part of a sentence that, when removed, will not affect the ...
- Noun adjunct: In grammar , a noun adjunct or attributive noun or noun premodifier is a noun that modifies another noun and is optional — meaning that ...
- Adjunct Records: Adjunct Records is an electronic record label started by Kenneth James Gibson and Konstantin Gabbro. Adjunct is a forward thinking record ...
- Adjunction space: In mathematics , an adjunction space is a common construction in topology where one topological space is attached or "glued" onto another ...
Words and phrases related to 'Adjunct'
Adjunct Sample Sentences in News
- Ivy Tech cuts adjunct teacher hours
The Ivy Tech Kokomo Region is cutting the hours of some of its adjunct faculty to avoid having to provide them with health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'
- SF College adjunct faculty job fair planned for Thursday and Saturday
Santa Fe College is holding an adjunct faculty job fair for people interested in sharing their expertise and earning supplemental income as part-time adjunct assistant professors. Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'
- Lake Land College honors dual credit and adjunct instructors
MATTOON — Lake Land College recently recognized the service of its dual credit and adjunct instructors at the 2013 Adjunct and Dual Credit Recognition Banquet. Read more on this news related to 'Adjunct'