Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Adjoining'
Adjoining Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : having a common boundary or edge; touching; "abutting lots";
"adjoining rooms"; "Rhode Island has two bordering
states; Massachusetts and Conncecticut"; "the side of
Germany conterminous with France"; "Utah and the
contiguous state of Idaho"; "neighboring cities" [syn:
abutting, adjacent, conterminous, contiguous, neighboring(a)]
- Adjoin \Ad*join"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Adjoined; p. pr. & vb.
n. Adjoining.] [OE. ajoinen, OF. ajoindre, F. adjoindre,
fr. L. adjungere; ad + jungere to join. See Join, and cf.
To join or unite to; to lie contiguous to; to be in contact
with; to attach; to append.
Corrections . . . should be, as remarks, adjoined by
way of note. --Watts.
- Adjoining \Ad*join"ing\, a.
Joining to; contiguous; adjacent; as, an adjoining room.
``The adjoining fane.'' --Dryden.
Upon the hills adjoining to the city. --Shak.
Syn: Adjacent; contiguous; near; neighboring; abutting;
bordering. See Adjacent.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Adjoining'
- Tree-adjoining grammar: Tree-adjoining grammar (TAG) is a grammar formalism defined by Aravind Joshi . Tree-adjoining grammars are somewhat similar to context- ...
- Parklands adjoining the Yarra River: Dogs are not permitted in parklands adjoining the river unless otherwise stated in special off-lead areas. Parklands: parklands that adjoin the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Adjoining'
Adjoining Sample Sentences in News
- Texas woman killed in hotel bed by bullet from adjoining room
A Texas woman was killed while watching TV in a suburban Dallas hotel bed on Tuesday after a bullet came through the wall of an adjoining room and struck her in the chest, police in the city of Irving said. Traci Reedy, 48, was in the room with her husband and teenage son, who were not injured. Michael Gray, 36, of Dallas, who was in the adjoining room, was arrest Read more on this news related to 'Adjoining'
- Five dead in Iraq as Qaeda group claims mall assault
Attacks in Baghdad and the main northern city of Mosul on Thursday killed five people as an Al-Qaeda front group claimed an assault on a mall and adjoining police complex. Officials have blamed a resurgent Al-Qaeda emboldened by the civil war in neighbouring Syria, but the government has itself been criticised for not doing enough to address the concerns of the di Read more on this news related to 'Adjoining'
- ‘Lehar’ may relent a bit before lashing AP coast
Very severe cyclonic storm Lehar lay centred over south-east and adjoining west-central Bay of Bengal on Tuesday afternoon. Read more on this news related to 'Adjoining'