Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Addition'
- a component that is added to something to improve it; "the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement"; "the addition of cinammon improved the flavor" [syn: add-on, improver]
- the act of adding one thing to another; "the addition of flowers created a pleasing effect"; "the addition of a leap day every four years" [ant: subtraction]
- a quantity that is added; "there was an addition to property taxes this year"; "they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks" [syn: increase, gain]
- something added to what you already have; "the librarian shelved the new accessions"; "he was a new addition to the staff" [syn: accession]
- a suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area
- the arithmetic operation of summing; calculating the sum of two or more numbers; "the summation of four and three gives seven"; "four plus three equals seven" [syn: summation, plus]
- Addition \Ad*di"tion\, n. [F. addition, L. additio, fr. addere
- The act of adding two or more things together; -- opposed to subtraction or diminution. ``This endless addition or addibility of numbers.'' --Locke.
- Anything added; increase; augmentation; as, a piazza is an addition to a building.
- (Math.) That part of arithmetic which treats of adding numbers.
- (Mus.) A dot at the right side of a note as an indication that its sound is to be lengthened one half. [R.]
- (Law) A title annexed to a man's name, to identify him more precisely; as, John Doe, Esq.; Richard Roe, Gent.; Robert Dale, Mason; Thomas Way, of New York; a mark of distinction; a title.
- (Her.) Something added to a coat of arms, as a mark of honor; -- opposed to abatement. Vector addition (Geom.), that kind of addition of two lines, or vectors, AB and BC, by which their sum is regarded as the line, or vector, AC. Syn: Increase; accession; augmentation; appendage; adjunct.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Addition'
Addition is a mathematical operation that represents combining collections of objects together into a larger collection. It is signified by the plus sign (+). For example, in the picture on the right, there are 3 + 2 apples—meaning three apples and two other apples—which is the same as five apples. Therefore, 3 + 2 = 5. Besides counting fruits, addition can also represent combining other physical and abstract quantities using different kinds of numbers: negative numbers, fractions, irrational numbers, vectors, decimals and more.
Addition follows several important patterns. It is commutative, meaning that order does not matter, and it is associative, meaning that when one adds more than two numbers, order in which addition is performed does not matter (see Summation). Repeated addition of 1 is the same as counting; addition of 0 does not change a number. Addition also obeys predictable rules concerning related operations such as subtraction and multiplication. All of these rules can be proven, starting with the addition of natural numbers and generalizing up through the real numbers and beyond. General binary operations that continue these patterns are studied in abstract algebra.[See more about Addition at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Addition'
'Addition' in famous quotation sentence
* It must require an inordinate share of vanity and presumption, too, after enjoying so much that is good and beautiful on earth, to ask the Lord for immortality in addition to all. - Heinrich Heine
* Modern Man is the victim of the very instruments he values most. Every gain in power, every mastery of natural forces, every scientific addition to knowledge, has proved potentially dangerous, because it has not been accompanied by equal gains in self-understanding and self-discipline. - Lewis Mumford
Click here for more related quotations on 'Addition'
Addition Sample Sentences in News
- Ensurge, Inc. Announces Addition of Kurt Nunes to Subsidiary's Executive Team
PHOENIX -- Ensurge, Inc. (OTCQB:ESGI), a U.S. mining company that has been engaged in exploring and developing gold mining opportunities in Brazil and has now expanded into Guyana, announced today that ... Read more on this news related to 'Addition'
- Tiskilwa residents learn about new library addition
Architect Wayne Nowlan points out some characteristics of the new addition for the Tiskilwa Public Library at an open house Tuesday night. Construction is expected to start this summer on the 3,800-square-foot addition that will eventually become the main library. Read more on this news related to 'Addition'
- Research and Markets: The Global Industrial Rubber Products Market to Grow at a CAGR Of 5.85 Percent over the Period ...
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Global Industrial Rubber Products Market 2012-2016" re Read more on this news related to 'Addition'