Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Addict'
- someone who is so ardently devoted to something that it resembles an addiction; "a golf addict"; "a car nut"; "a news junkie" [syn: nut, freak, junkie, junky]
- someone who is physiologically dependent on a substance; abrupt deprivation of the substance produces withdrawal symptoms v : to cause (someone or oneself) to become dependent (on something, especially a narcotic drug) [syn: hook]
- Addict \Ad*dict"\, p. p.
Addicted; devoted. [Obs.]
- Addict \Ad*dict"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Addicted; p. pr. & vb.
n. Addicting.] [L. addictus, p. p. of addicere to adjudge,
devote; ad + dicere to say. See Diction.]
- To apply habitually; to devote; to habituate; -- with to. ``They addict themselves to the civil law.'' --Evelyn. He is addicted to his study. --Beau. & Fl. That part of mankind that addict their minds to speculations. --Adventurer. His genius addicted him to the study of antiquity. --Fuller. A man gross . . . and addicted to low company. --Macaulay.
- To adapt; to make suitable; to fit. [Obs.] The land about is exceedingly addicted to wood, but the coldness of the place hinders the growth. --Evelyn. Syn: Addict, Devote, Consecrate, Dedicate. Addict was formerly used in a good sense; as, addicted to letters; but is now mostly employed in a bad sense or an indifferent one; as, addicted to vice; addicted to sensual indulgence. ``Addicted to staying at home.'' --J. S. Mill. Devote is always taken in a good sense, expressing habitual earnestness in the pursuit of some favorite object; as, devoted to science. Consecrate and dedicate express devotion of a higher kind, involving religious sentiment; as, consecrated to the service of the church; dedicated to God.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Addict'
Historically, addiction has been defined as physical and psychological dependence on psychoactive substances (for example alcohol, tobacco, heroin and other drugs) which cross the blood-brain barrier once ingested, temporarily altering the chemical milieu of the brain.
Addiction can also be viewed as a continued involvement with a substance or activity despite the negative consequences associated with it. Pleasure and enjoyment would have originally been sought, however over a period of time involvement with the substance or activity is needed to feel normal.
The related concept of drug addiction has many different definitions. Some writers give drug addiction to the same meaning as substance dependence, others for example provide drug addiction a narrower meaning which excludes drugs without evidence of tolerance or withdrawal symptoms.[See more about Addict at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Addict'
Addict Sample Sentences in News
- Drug Addict Killed In Fight With Foreign Drug Pushers
SABAK BERNAM, May 21 (Bernama) -- A drug addict was killed after he was assaulted and stabbed in a fight with a group of foreign drug pushers at a mangrove swamp in Bagan Sungai Besar, here, on Monday. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'
- Recovering addict supports methadone substitute
A Charlottetown woman who's trying to kick her addiction to prescription narcotics would like to see the province cover the cost of a new substitute drug for methadone. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'
- Obese takeaway addict sheds nine stone to reveal ripped bodybuilder physique
Daniel Blythe of Wrexham weighed in at 21 stone in 2010 but after shedding the pounds and starting weight training he is now competing in bodybuilding championships. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'