Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Addict'
- someone who is so ardently devoted to something that it resembles an addiction; "a golf addict"; "a car nut"; "a news junkie" [syn: nut, freak, junkie, junky]
- someone who is physiologically dependent on a substance; abrupt deprivation of the substance produces withdrawal symptoms v : to cause (someone or oneself) to become dependent (on something, especially a narcotic drug) [syn: hook]
- Addict \Ad*dict"\, p. p.
Addicted; devoted. [Obs.]
- Addict \Ad*dict"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Addicted; p. pr. & vb.
n. Addicting.] [L. addictus, p. p. of addicere to adjudge,
devote; ad + dicere to say. See Diction.]
- To apply habitually; to devote; to habituate; -- with to. ``They addict themselves to the civil law.'' --Evelyn. He is addicted to his study. --Beau. & Fl. That part of mankind that addict their minds to speculations. --Adventurer. His genius addicted him to the study of antiquity. --Fuller. A man gross . . . and addicted to low company. --Macaulay.
- To adapt; to make suitable; to fit. [Obs.] The land about is exceedingly addicted to wood, but the coldness of the place hinders the growth. --Evelyn. Syn: Addict, Devote, Consecrate, Dedicate. Addict was formerly used in a good sense; as, addicted to letters; but is now mostly employed in a bad sense or an indifferent one; as, addicted to vice; addicted to sensual indulgence. ``Addicted to staying at home.'' --J. S. Mill. Devote is always taken in a good sense, expressing habitual earnestness in the pursuit of some favorite object; as, devoted to science. Consecrate and dedicate express devotion of a higher kind, involving religious sentiment; as, consecrated to the service of the church; dedicated to God.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Addict'
Historically, addiction has been defined as physical and psychological dependence on psychoactive substances (for example alcohol, tobacco, heroin and other drugs) which cross the blood-brain barrier once ingested, temporarily altering the chemical milieu of the brain.
Addiction can also be viewed as a continued involvement with a substance or activity despite the negative consequences associated with it. Pleasure and enjoyment would have originally been sought, however over a period of time involvement with the substance or activity is needed to feel normal.
The related concept of drug addiction has many different definitions. Some writers give drug addiction to the same meaning as substance dependence, others for example provide drug addiction a narrower meaning which excludes drugs without evidence of tolerance or withdrawal symptoms.[See more about Addict at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Addict'
Addict Sample Sentences in News
- Ice addict ran down two men in hit-run attacks
An ice-addicted driver who mowed down two men in a stolen car during a morning of mayhem across Melbourne has been told by a judge he was lucky not to have to appear before a higher court. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'
- Heroin addict stole priceless jewellery
A JOBLESS heroin addict with an account at a pawnbrokers used it to get rid of priceless jewellery taken in a burglary, a court heard. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'
- Pittsfield addict gets jail for stealing from grandmother, teacher
PITTSFIELD -- A heroin addict who stole jewelry from his grandmother and a former teacher was sentenced on Thursday to 2 1/2 years in jail on 22 charges. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'