Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Addict'
- someone who is so ardently devoted to something that it resembles an addiction; "a golf addict"; "a car nut"; "a news junkie" [syn: nut, freak, junkie, junky]
- someone who is physiologically dependent on a substance; abrupt deprivation of the substance produces withdrawal symptoms v : to cause (someone or oneself) to become dependent (on something, especially a narcotic drug) [syn: hook]
- Addict \Ad*dict"\, p. p.
Addicted; devoted. [Obs.]
- Addict \Ad*dict"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Addicted; p. pr. & vb.
n. Addicting.] [L. addictus, p. p. of addicere to adjudge,
devote; ad + dicere to say. See Diction.]
- To apply habitually; to devote; to habituate; -- with to. ``They addict themselves to the civil law.'' --Evelyn. He is addicted to his study. --Beau. & Fl. That part of mankind that addict their minds to speculations. --Adventurer. His genius addicted him to the study of antiquity. --Fuller. A man gross . . . and addicted to low company. --Macaulay.
- To adapt; to make suitable; to fit. [Obs.] The land about is exceedingly addicted to wood, but the coldness of the place hinders the growth. --Evelyn. Syn: Addict, Devote, Consecrate, Dedicate. Addict was formerly used in a good sense; as, addicted to letters; but is now mostly employed in a bad sense or an indifferent one; as, addicted to vice; addicted to sensual indulgence. ``Addicted to staying at home.'' --J. S. Mill. Devote is always taken in a good sense, expressing habitual earnestness in the pursuit of some favorite object; as, devoted to science. Consecrate and dedicate express devotion of a higher kind, involving religious sentiment; as, consecrated to the service of the church; dedicated to God.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Addict'
Historically, addiction has been defined as physical and psychological dependence on psychoactive substances (for example alcohol, tobacco, heroin and other drugs) which cross the blood-brain barrier once ingested, temporarily altering the chemical milieu of the brain.
Addiction can also be viewed as a continued involvement with a substance or activity despite the negative consequences associated with it. Pleasure and enjoyment would have originally been sought, however over a period of time involvement with the substance or activity is needed to feel normal.
The related concept of drug addiction has many different definitions. Some writers give drug addiction to the same meaning as substance dependence, others for example provide drug addiction a narrower meaning which excludes drugs without evidence of tolerance or withdrawal symptoms.[See more about Addict at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Addict'
Addict Sample Sentences in News
- Drug addict became heroin dealer after heart transplant
A drug addict has been criticised for returning to his habits and becoming a heroin dealer after receiving a £40,000 NHS heart transplant to save his life Read more on this news related to 'Addict'
- 'Rehab Addict' home in Detroit will be open to the public
Addicted to Nicole Curtis's 'Rehab Addict' on the DIY Network and anxious to see inside the'29 duplex she rehabbed on Detroit's west side? Sunday is your chance. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'
- Leeds: Ex-heroin addict tells of second chance
A former heroin addict who spent 12 years in jail, has grabbed a second chance at life, and is telling his story to the Yorkshire Evening Post, in a bid to give hope to other people. Read more on this news related to 'Addict'