Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Accession'
- a process of increasing by addition (as to a collection or group); "the art collectin grew through accession"
- (civil law) the right to all of that which your property produces whether by growth or improvement
- something added to what you already have; "the librarian shelved the new accessions"; "he was a new addition to the staff" [syn: addition]
- agreeing with or consenting to (often unwillingly); "accession to such demands would set a dangerous precedent"; "assenting to the Congressional determination" [syn: assenting]
- the right to enter [syn: entree, access, admittance]
- the act of attaining or gaining access to a new office or right or position (especially the throne); "Elizabeth's accession in 1558" [syn: rise to power] v : make a record of additions to a collection, such as a library
- Accession \Ac*ces"sion\, n. [L. accessio, fr. accedere: cf. F.
accession. See Accede.]
- A coming to; the act of acceding and becoming joined; as, a king's accession to a confederacy.
- Increase by something added; that which is added; augmentation from without; as, an accession of wealth or territory. The only accession which the Roman empire received was the province of Britain. --Gibbon.
- (Law) (a) A mode of acquiring property, by which the owner of a corporeal substance which receives an addition by growth, or by labor, has a right to the part or thing added, or the improvement (provided the thing is not changed into a different species). Thus, the owner of a cow becomes the owner of her calf. (b) The act by which one power becomes party to engagements already in force between other powers. --Kent.
- The act of coming to or reaching a throne, an office, or dignity; as, the accession of the house of Stuart; -- applied especially to the epoch of a new dynasty.
- (Med.) The invasion, approach, or commencement of a disease; a fit or paroxysm. Syn: Increase; addition; augmentation; enlargement.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Accession'
Accession has different definitions depending upon its application. In Property law, it is a mode of acquiring property that involves the addition of value to property through labor or the addition of new materials. In English Common law, the added value belonged to the original property's owner. In Modern Common law, if the property owner allows the accession through bad faith, the adder of value is entitled to damages or title to the property. If the individual who adds value to the owner's chattel (personal property) is a trespasser or does so in bad faith, the owner retains title and the trespasser cannot recover labor or materials. The owner of the chattel may seek conversion damages for the value of the original materials plus any consequential damages. Alternatively, the owner may seek replevin (return of the chattel). However, the owner may be limited to damages if the property has changed its nature by accession. For example, if a finder discovers a gemstone and in good faith believes it to be abandoned and then cuts it and integrates it into a work of art, the true owner may be limited to recovery of damages for the value of the gemstone, but not of the final art piece by way of replevin. The remedies and application of the law vary by legal jurisdiction.[See more about Accession at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Accession'
Accession Sample Sentences in News
- Poland Watching Putin Puts Euro Option Back in Play
The crisis in Ukraine is putting the question of Poland's accession to the euro back on the agenda as the military standoff stirs memories of the Cold War. Central bank Governor Marek Belka said this week that eastern Europe's biggest economy should reconsider its reluctance to euro membership because of security concerns sparked by the conflict across the Read more on this news related to 'Accession'
- Sense of duty for Latvia in ESM
RIGA - For Latvia, accession to the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) is not only a duty, but also a matter of solidarity, Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma (Unity) told reporters after a meeting with ESM Managing Director Klaus Regling on March 3, reports LETA. Read more on this news related to 'Accession'
- Taib: When the Devil wins
James Chai There was a slight pause called by Najib between Taib Mahmud’s resignation as Chief Minister of Sarawak and his accession as the Governor (Yang di-Pertua Negeri) of Sarawak. The delay gave us some hope. Would Najib take this opportunity to cut off the “untouchable” Taib Mahmud once and for all and take this […] Read more on this news related to 'Accession'