Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Acceding'
- Accede \Ac*cede"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Acceded; p. pr. & vb.
n. Acceding.] [L. accedere to approach, accede; ad + cedere
to move, yield: cf. F. acc['e]dere. See Cede.]
- To approach; to come forward; -- opposed to recede. [Obs.] --T. Gale.
- To enter upon an office or dignity; to attain. Edward IV., who had acceded to the throne in the year 146
- --T. Warton. If Frederick had acceded to the supreme power. --Morley.
- To become a party by associating one's self with others; to give one's adhesion. Hence, to agree or assent to a proposal or a view; as, he acceded to my request. The treaty of Hanover in 1725 . . . to which the Dutch afterwards acceded. --Chesterfield. Syn: To agree; assent; consent; comply; acquiesce; concur.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Acceding'
Accession has different definitions depending upon its application. In Property law, it is a mode of acquiring property that involves the addition of value to property through labor or the addition of new materials. In English Common law, the added value belonged to the original property's owner. In Modern Common law, if the property owner allows the accession through bad faith, the adder of value is entitled to damages or title to the property. If the individual who adds value to the owner's chattel (personal property) is a trespasser or does so in bad faith, the owner retains title and the trespasser cannot recover labor or materials. The owner of the chattel may seek conversion damages for the value of the original materials plus any consequential damages. Alternatively, the owner may seek replevin (return of the chattel). However, the owner may be limited to damages if the property has changed its nature by accession. For example, if a finder discovers a gemstone and in good faith believes it to be abandoned and then cuts it and integrates it into a work of art, the true owner may be limited to recovery of damages for the value of the gemstone, but not of the final art piece by way of replevin. The remedies and application of the law vary by legal jurisdiction.[See more about Acceding at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Acceding'
Acceding Sample Sentences in News
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: “Acceding to Geneva Conventions Benefits Palestinian Cause”
RAMALLAH, April 12, 2014 – (WAFA) – Minister of Foreign Affairs Riyad al-Malki stated Saturday that accepting Palestine as a high party to the four Geneva Conventions and their additional protocol will bring great benefits for the Palestinian cause. Read more on this news related to 'Acceding'
- Veteran officer, accused of forcing women to have sex, found guilty
A veteran Kansas City police officer who was accused of forcing two women to have sex with him was found guilty of acceding to corruption Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Acceding'
- Newspaper Review: Israeli Reprisals against Palestinian Leadership Focus of Dailies
RAMALLAH, April 7, 2014 – (WAFA) – The Israeli reprisals against the Palestinian leadership for acceding international treaties hit the front page headlines in Palestinian dailies. Read more on this news related to 'Acceding'