Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Acceding'
- Accede \Ac*cede"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Acceded; p. pr. & vb.
n. Acceding.] [L. accedere to approach, accede; ad + cedere
to move, yield: cf. F. acc['e]dere. See Cede.]
- To approach; to come forward; -- opposed to recede. [Obs.] --T. Gale.
- To enter upon an office or dignity; to attain. Edward IV., who had acceded to the throne in the year 146
- --T. Warton. If Frederick had acceded to the supreme power. --Morley.
- To become a party by associating one's self with others; to give one's adhesion. Hence, to agree or assent to a proposal or a view; as, he acceded to my request. The treaty of Hanover in 1725 . . . to which the Dutch afterwards acceded. --Chesterfield. Syn: To agree; assent; consent; comply; acquiesce; concur.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Acceding'
Accession has different definitions depending upon its application. In Property law, it is a mode of acquiring property that involves the addition of value to property through labor or the addition of new materials. In English Common law, the added value belonged to the original property's owner. In Modern Common law, if the property owner allows the accession through bad faith, the adder of value is entitled to damages or title to the property. If the individual who adds value to the owner's chattel (personal property) is a trespasser or does so in bad faith, the owner retains title and the trespasser cannot recover labor or materials. The owner of the chattel may seek conversion damages for the value of the original materials plus any consequential damages. Alternatively, the owner may seek replevin (return of the chattel). However, the owner may be limited to damages if the property has changed its nature by accession. For example, if a finder discovers a gemstone and in good faith believes it to be abandoned and then cuts it and integrates it into a work of art, the true owner may be limited to recovery of damages for the value of the gemstone, but not of the final art piece by way of replevin. The remedies and application of the law vary by legal jurisdiction.[See more about Acceding at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Acceding'
Acceding Sample Sentences in News
- Accelerated Depreciation scheme for wind energy restored
Acceding to demands from wind power generators, the government Friday announced it was reinstating the accelerated depreciation (AD) scheme which was withdrawn two years ago. Read more on this news related to 'Acceding'
- Spain's King Felipe VI begins first visit to Morocco
Spain's new King Felipe VI arrived in Rabat on Monday for the start of his first trip to neighbouring Morocco since acceding to the throne in June. The monarch, accompanied by his wife Letizia on his third official trip abroad, after the Vatican and Portugal, was met at the airport by King Mohammed VI and his wife Lalla Salma. Also present at the ceremony were Read more on this news related to 'Acceding'
- Centre enhances coal linkage for Talwandi Sabo, Rajpura TPPs
Acceding to the demand of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, the central government has enhanced coal linkage for Talwandi Sabo Thermal Power Plant (TPP) and Rajpura TPP matching with their installed capacities of 1980 MW and 1400 MW respectively, which was pending with the Union Ministry of Coal since April, 2011. Read more on this news related to 'Acceding'