Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abuse'
- cruel or inhumane treatment [syn: maltreatment, ill-treatment, ill-usage]
- a rude expression intended to offend or hurt; "when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"; "they yelled insults at the visiting team" [syn: insult, revilement, contumely, vilification]
- improper or excessive use [syn: misuse] v
- treat badly; "This boss abuses his workers"; "She is always stepping on others to get ahead" [syn: mistreat, maltreat, ill-use, step, ill-treat]
- change the inherent purpose or function of something; "Don't abuse the system"; "The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers" [syn: pervert, misuse]
- use foul or abusive language towards; "The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"; "The angry mother shouted at the teacher" [syn: clapperclaw, blackguard, shout]
- Abuse \A*buse"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Abused; p. pr. & vb. n.
Abusing.] [F. abuser; L. abusus, p. p. of abuti to abuse,
misuse; ab + uti to use. See Use.]
- To put to a wrong use; to misapply; to misuse; to put to a bad use; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to abuse inherited gold; to make an excessive use of; as, to abuse one's authority. This principle (if one may so abuse the word) shoots rapidly into popularity. --Froude.
- To use ill; to maltreat; to act injuriously to; to punish or to tax excessively; to hurt; as, to abuse prisoners, to abuse one's powers, one's patience.
- To revile; to reproach coarsely; to disparage. The . . . tellers of news abused the general. --Macaulay.
- To dishonor. ``Shall flight abuse your name?'' --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abuse'
Abuse is the improper usage or treatment for a bad purpose, often to unfairly or improperly gain benefit, physical or verbal maltreatment, injury, sexual assault, violation, rape, unjust practices; wrongful practice or custom; offense; crime, or otherwise verbal aggression. Abuse can come in many forms.
Abuses such as verbal abuse and physical abuse can be consensual within the confines of erotic humiliation and BDSM.
Satanic ritual abuse was simply a moral panic and not substantiated as a credible type of abuse.
Abuse of authority, in the form of political corruption, is the use of legislated or otherwise authorized powers by government officials for illegitimate private gain. Misuse of government power for other purposes, such as repression of political opponents and general police brutality, is not considered political corruption. Neither are illegal acts by private persons or corporations not directly involved with the government. An illegal act by an officeholder constitutes political corruption only if the act is directly related to their official duties.[See more about Abuse at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Abuse'
'Abuse' in famous quotation sentence
* Use, do not abuse neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy. - Voltaire
* The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power. - Mary Bertone
Click here for more related quotations on 'Abuse'