Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abstracted'
- taken out of or separated from; "possibility is...achievability, abstracted from achievement"- A.N.Whitehead [syn: removed]
- lost in thought; showing preoccupation; "an absent stare"; "an absentminded professer"; "the scatty glancing quality of a hyperactive but unfocused intelligence" [syn: absent, absentminded, scatty]
- Abstract \Ab*stract"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Abstracted; p. pr.
& vb. n. Abstracting.] [See Abstract, a.]
- To withdraw; to separate; to take away. He was incapable of forming any opinion or resolution abstracted from his own prejudices. --Sir W. Scott.
- To draw off in respect to interest or attention; as, his was wholly abstracted by other objects. The young stranger had been abstracted and silent. --Blackw. Mag.
- To separate, as ideas, by the operation of the mind; to consider by itself; to contemplate separately, as a quality or attribute. --Whately.
- To epitomize; to abridge. --Franklin.
- To take secretly or dishonestly; to purloin; as, to abstract goods from a parcel, or money from a till. Von Rosen had quietly abstracted the bearing-reins from the harness. --W. Black.
- (Chem.) To separate, as the more volatile or soluble parts of a substance, by distillation or other chemical processes. In this sense extract is now more generally used.
- Abstracted \Ab*stract"ed\, a.
- Separated or disconnected; withdrawn; removed; apart. The evil abstracted stood from his own evil. --Milton.
- Separated from matter; abstract; ideal. [Obs.]
- Abstract; abstruse; difficult. [Obs.] --Johnson.
- Inattentive to surrounding objects; absent in mind. ``An abstracted scholar.'' --Johnson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abstracted'
Abstraction is a process by which higher concepts are derived from the usage and classification of literal ("real" or "concrete") concepts, first principles and/or other abstractions. An "abstraction" (noun) is a concept that acts as super-categorical noun for all subordinate concepts, and connects any related concepts as a group, field, or category.
Abstractions may be formed by reducing the information content of a concept or an observable phenomenon, typically to retain only information which is relevant for a particular purpose. For example, abstracting a leather soccer ball to the more general idea of a ball retains only the information on general ball attributes and behavior, eliminating the characteristics of that particular ball.
The first symbols of abstract thinking in humans can be traced to fossils dating between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago in Africa. However, language itself, whether spoken or written, involves abstract thinking.[See more about Abstracted at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Abstracted'
Abstracted Sample Sentences in News
- Watch This: 'Street Fighter II' Characters Deconstructed Into Artful, Geometric Motion Sculpture
Animator Dan The Ad Man created this fascinating tribute to "Street Fighter II" as an exercise to teach himself 3D animation programs. His "Street Fighter Mograph" uses a series of geometric and abstracted forms to evoke Guile, Chun Li, and Ken. Street Fighter MO-graph from dantheadman on Vimeo. On the Vimeo page for the video, [...] Read more on this news related to 'Abstracted'
- Inventor of OpenFlow SDN Admits Most SDN Today Is Hype
darthcamaro writes "Every networking vendor today is talking about Software Defined Networking (SDN). The basic idea is that the control of the underlying networking hardware is abstracted by software. Martin Casado helped to come up with the whole topic with his 2005 Stanford thesis (PDF). Eight years later after selling his startup Nicira to VMware for $1.2 Read more on this news related to 'Abstracted'