Absorb Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- cause to become one with; "The sales tax is absorbed into the state income tax"
- engage or engross wholly; "Her interest in butterflies absorbs her completely"
- engross (oneself) fully; "He immersed himself into his studies"
- take up mentally; "he absorbed the knowledge or beliefs of his tribe"
- assimilate or take in; "The immigrants were quickly absorbed into society"
- take in, also metaphorically; "The sponge absorbs water well"; "She drew strength from the minister''s words"
- become imbued; "The liquids, light, and gases absorb"
- take up, as of debts or payments; "absorb the costs for something"
- suck or take up or in; "A black star absorbs all matter"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Absorb'?
Absorb Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Absorption is a condition in which something takes in another substance. It is a physical or chemical phenomenon or process, in which atoms, molecules, or ions enter in the inner part (called "bulk") of a gas, liquid, or solid material.
This is a different process from adsorption. Molecules undergoing absorption are going deep into the volume of the material, instead in the case of adsorption molecules stop at the surface of the material. A more general term is sorption, which covers absorption, adsorption, and ion exchange.
Other meanings of "absorption" are:
Words and phrases related to 'Absorb'
'Absorb' example sentence in quotations
* When I am attacked by gloomy thoughts, nothing helps me so much as running to my books. They quickly absorb me and banish the clouds from my mind. - Michel de Montaigne
* Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. - William Osler
Click here for more related quotations on 'Absorb'