Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
- the state of being absent; "he was surprised by the absence of any explanation" [ant: presence]
- failure to be present [ant: presence]
- the time interval during which something or somebody is away; "he visited during my absence"
- epilepsy characterized by paroxysmal attacks of brief clouding of consciousness (a possible other abnormalities) [syn: petit mal epilepsy]
- Absence \Ab"sence\, n. [F., fr. L. absentia. See Absent.]
- A state of being absent or withdrawn from a place or from companionship; -- opposed to presence. Not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence. --Phil. ii. 12.
- Want; destitution; withdrawal. ``In the absence of conventional law.'' --Kent.
- Inattention to things present; abstraction (of mind); as, absence of mind. ``Reflecting on the little absences and distractions of mankind.'' --Addison. To conquer that abstraction which is called absence. --Landor.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Absence'
Absenteeism is a habitual pattern of absence from a duty or obligation. Traditionally, absenteeism has been viewed as an indicator of poor individual performance, as well as a breach of an implicit contract between employee and employer; it was seen as a management problem, and framed in economic or quasi-economic terms. More recent scholarship seeks to understand absenteeism as an indicator of psychological, medical, or social adjustment to work.
Frequent absence from the workplace may be indicative of poor morale or of sick building syndrome. However, many employers have implemented absence policies which make no distinction between absences for genuine illness and absence for inappropriate reasons. One of these policies is the calculation of the Bradford factor, which only takes the total number and frequency of absences into account, not the kind of absence.[See more about Absence at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Absence'
'Absence' in famous quotation sentence
* Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars-all the beauties of creation. - Victor Hugo
* Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Absence'
Absence Sample Sentences in News
- Froome absence makes for open Tirreno-Adriatico cycling race
This year's edition of the Tirreno-Adriatico which gets underway on Wednesday promises to be an open and exciting race, not least due to the absence of the dominant Chris Froome. The Tour de France champion pulled out at the last moment at the end of last week due to a back injury that has kept him sidelined since winning the Tour of Oman in late February. It Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- Ice hockey: Backstrom's absence big blow for Sweden
By Philip O'Connor SOCHI, Russia (Reuters) - The absence of Nicklas Backstrom from the gold medal game against Canada derailed Sweden's hopes as they went down 3-0 in Sochi on Sunday, with the center missing the game due to a failed dope test. "I got the message two hours before the game that something was wrong," Sweden coach Par Marts told a ne Read more on this news related to 'Absence'
- Olympics-Ice hockey-Backstrom's absence big blow for Sweden
By Philip O'Connor SOCHI, Russia, Feb 23 (Reuters) - The absence of Nicklas Backstrom from the gold medal game against Canada derailed Sweden's hopes as they went down 3-0 in Sochi on Sunday, with the centre missing the game due to a failed dope test. "I got the message two hours before the game that something was wrong," Sweden coach Par Marts t Read more on this news related to 'Absence'