Abrupt Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner; "an abrupt reply"
- exceedingly sudden and unexpected; "came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
- extremely steep; "an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop"
- marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions; "abrupt prose"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Abrupt'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
- Abrupt climate change: An abrupt climate change occurs when the climate system is forced to transition to a new climate state at a rate that is determined by the ...
- Abrupt Island: Abrupt Island, also known as Brattöy, is an island 0.5 | mi | 0 across, lying 1.5 | mi | 0 east of Lang Island , east of the Oygarden ...
- Abrupt Point: Abrupt Point. (66 | 54 | S | 56 | 42 | E | display inline,title also known as Brattodden, is a rocky point 3 | mi | 0 southwest of Patricia ...
- Amanita abrupta: Amanita abrupta, commonly known as the American abrupt-bulbed Lepidella, is a species of fungus in the Amanitaceae family of mushroom s. ...
- Carex abrupta: Carex abrupta is a species of sedge known by the common name abrupt-beaked sedge or abruptbeak sedge. It is native to the western United ...
- Placental abruption: Placental abruption (also known as abruptio placentae) is a complication of pregnancy , wherein the placenta l lining has separated from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Sample Sentences in News
- New Study Shows Three Abrupt Pulses of CO2 During Last Deglaciation
vinces99 writes A new study shows that the increase of atmospheric carbon dioxide that contributed to the end of the last ice age more than 10,000 years ago did not occur gradually but rather was characterized by three abrupt pulses. Scientists are not sure what caused these abrupt increases, during which carbon dioxide levels rose about 10 to 15 parts per million Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- New study shows 3 abrupt pulse of CO2 during last deglaciation
( Oregon State University ) A new study shows that the rise of atmospheric carbon dioxide that contributed to the end of the last ice age more than 10,000 years ago did not occur gradually, but was characterized by three 'pulses' in which C02 rose abruptly. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- Glendale reconsiders rejected annexation near Loop 303
In an abrupt about-face, Glendale city officials might bring county land into the city that they rejected for annexation less than a year ago. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'