Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions; "abrupt prose" [syn: disconnected]
- exceedingly sudden and unexpected; "came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
- extremely steep; "an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop" [syn: precipitous, sharp]
- surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner; "an abrupt reply"
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, a. [L. abruptus, p. p. of abrumpere to break
off; ab + rumpere to break. See Rupture.]
- Broken off; very steep, or craggy, as rocks, precipices, banks; precipitous; steep; as, abrupt places. ``Tumbling through ricks abrupt,'' --Thomson.
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious. ``The cause of your abrupt departure.'' --Shak.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject to another; unconnected. The abrupt style, which hath many breaches. --B. Jonson.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, n. [L. abruptum.]
An abrupt place. [Poetic]
``Over the vast abrupt.'' --Milton.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, v. t.
To tear off or asunder. [Obs.] ``Till death abrupts them.''
--Sir T. Browne.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
- Abrupt climate change: An abrupt climate change occurs when the climate system is forced to transition to a new state at a rate that is determined by the climate ...
- Abrupt Island: Abrupt Island (67 | 0 | S | 57 | 46 | E |) is an island 0.5 miles (0.8 km) across, lying 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Lang Island , close ...
- Abrupt Point: Abrupt Point (66 | 54 | S | 56 | 42 | E |) is a rocky point 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Patricia Islands , on the west side of Edward ...
- Amanita abrupta: Amanita abrupta, commonly known as the abrupt-bulbed Lepidella, is a species of fungus in the Amanitaceae family of mushroom s. ...
- Carex abrupta: Carex abrupta is a species of sedge known by the common name abrupt-beaked sedge or abruptbeak sedge. It is native to the western United ...
- Placental abruption: Placental abruption (also known as abruptio placentae) is a complication of pregnancy , wherein the placenta l lining has separated from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Sample Sentences in News
- Abrupt Lurch in Wyoming Landslide Splits House in Two
Other Homes, Businesses Threatened by Sudden Earth Movement and Debris. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- General Mills Scraps Unpopular Legal Policy
General Mills made an abrupt reversal on its new legal policy, which prevented people from suing the company if they downloaded coupons, participated in company-sponsored sweepstakes or “liked” them on Facebook in exchange for a discount. Under the policy, customers would be required to use binding arbitration or informal negotiation to settle a dispute. The T Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- South Korean Ferry Made Abrupt Sharp Turn before Capsizing
The South Korean ferry, Sewol, took an abrupt sharp right turn before capsizing off the country's southern coast, even as rescuers renew search for the hundreds of missing people who were aboard the ship. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'