Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions; "abrupt prose" [syn: disconnected]
- exceedingly sudden and unexpected; "came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
- extremely steep; "an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop" [syn: precipitous, sharp]
- surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner; "an abrupt reply"
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, a. [L. abruptus, p. p. of abrumpere to break
off; ab + rumpere to break. See Rupture.]
- Broken off; very steep, or craggy, as rocks, precipices, banks; precipitous; steep; as, abrupt places. ``Tumbling through ricks abrupt,'' --Thomson.
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious. ``The cause of your abrupt departure.'' --Shak.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject to another; unconnected. The abrupt style, which hath many breaches. --B. Jonson.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, n. [L. abruptum.]
An abrupt place. [Poetic]
``Over the vast abrupt.'' --Milton.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, v. t.
To tear off or asunder. [Obs.] ``Till death abrupts them.''
--Sir T. Browne.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
- Abrupt climate change: An abrupt climate change occurs when the climate system is forced to transition to a new state at a rate that is determined by the climate ...
- Abrupt Island: Abrupt Island (67 | 0 | S | 57 | 46 | E |) is an island 0.5 miles (0.8 km) across, lying 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Lang Island , close ...
- Abrupt Point: Abrupt Point (66 | 54 | S | 56 | 42 | E |) is a rocky point 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Patricia Islands , on the west side of Edward ...
- Amanita abrupta: Amanita abrupta, commonly known as the abrupt-bulbed Lepidella, is a species of fungus in the Amanitaceae family of mushroom s. ...
- Carex abrupta: Carex abrupta is a species of sedge known by the common name abrupt-beaked sedge or abruptbeak sedge. It is native to the western United ...
- Placental abruption: Placental abruption (also known as abruptio placentae) is a complication of pregnancy , wherein the placenta l lining has separated from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Sample Sentences in News
- One step forward, another step back, winter makes a brief return: Dave Eichorn's forecast
(Monday night April 14, 2014) An abrupt change is about to take place in the weather over Central New York. This will be even more abrupt than the showers which plowed through the area Monday evening. The temperature will drop Tuesday, and by dinnertime, snow will be in the air. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- Saint Rose's new chief
Ten months after the abrupt departure of its last president, The College of Saint Rose on Monday named Carolyn Stefanco to lead the liberal arts school. About the school, she said, "Saint Rose is big enough" — with a variety of schools and programs to attract students — "but small enough that you can feel a sense of community and that you can kn Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- Warmer temperatures to come to an 'abrupt end' by Wednesday in Atlantic Canada
Enjoy it while you can. That's the message for Atlantic Canadians currently enjoying warm and above seasonal temperatures. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'