Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions; "abrupt prose" [syn: disconnected]
- exceedingly sudden and unexpected; "came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
- extremely steep; "an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop" [syn: precipitous, sharp]
- surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner; "an abrupt reply"
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, a. [L. abruptus, p. p. of abrumpere to break
off; ab + rumpere to break. See Rupture.]
- Broken off; very steep, or craggy, as rocks, precipices, banks; precipitous; steep; as, abrupt places. ``Tumbling through ricks abrupt,'' --Thomson.
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious. ``The cause of your abrupt departure.'' --Shak.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject to another; unconnected. The abrupt style, which hath many breaches. --B. Jonson.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, n. [L. abruptum.]
An abrupt place. [Poetic]
``Over the vast abrupt.'' --Milton.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, v. t.
To tear off or asunder. [Obs.] ``Till death abrupts them.''
--Sir T. Browne.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
- Abrupt climate change: An abrupt climate change occurs when the climate system is forced to transition to a new state at a rate that is determined by the climate ...
- Abrupt Island: Abrupt Island (67 | 0 | S | 57 | 46 | E |) is an island 0.5 miles (0.8 km) across, lying 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Lang Island , close ...
- Abrupt Point: Abrupt Point (66 | 54 | S | 56 | 42 | E |) is a rocky point 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Patricia Islands , on the west side of Edward ...
- Amanita abrupta: Amanita abrupta, commonly known as the abrupt-bulbed Lepidella, is a species of fungus in the Amanitaceae family of mushroom s. ...
- Carex abrupta: Carex abrupta is a species of sedge known by the common name abrupt-beaked sedge or abruptbeak sedge. It is native to the western United ...
- Placental abruption: Placental abruption (also known as abruptio placentae) is a complication of pregnancy , wherein the placenta l lining has separated from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Sample Sentences in News
- Abrupt decision to retire in line with Landon Donovan's career path
Abrupt decision to retire in line with Landon Donovan's career path. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- AIG will not see abrupt course change: incoming CEO
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Insurer American International Group will not see a sudden shift in strategy in coming months as its leadership changes, the company's incoming chief executive said on Tuesday. "There will be no abrupt change in strategy," said Peter Hancock, who will take the reins as CEO on Sept. 1, calling his appointment "a vote for cont Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- Update: Terras: Krac leaves Weymouth by mutual consent
SHANE Krac has called an abrupt end to his short stint with the Terras after he revealed that he has left the club due to work and family commitments. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'