Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions; "abrupt prose" [syn: disconnected]
- exceedingly sudden and unexpected; "came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
- extremely steep; "an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop" [syn: precipitous, sharp]
- surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner; "an abrupt reply"
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, a. [L. abruptus, p. p. of abrumpere to break
off; ab + rumpere to break. See Rupture.]
- Broken off; very steep, or craggy, as rocks, precipices, banks; precipitous; steep; as, abrupt places. ``Tumbling through ricks abrupt,'' --Thomson.
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious. ``The cause of your abrupt departure.'' --Shak.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject to another; unconnected. The abrupt style, which hath many breaches. --B. Jonson.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, n. [L. abruptum.]
An abrupt place. [Poetic]
``Over the vast abrupt.'' --Milton.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, v. t.
To tear off or asunder. [Obs.] ``Till death abrupts them.''
--Sir T. Browne.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
- Abrupt climate change: An abrupt climate change occurs when the climate system is forced to transition to a new state at a rate that is determined by the climate ...
- Abrupt Island: Abrupt Island (67 | 0 | S | 57 | 46 | E |) is an island 0.5 miles (0.8 km) across, lying 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Lang Island , close ...
- Abrupt Point: Abrupt Point (66 | 54 | S | 56 | 42 | E |) is a rocky point 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Patricia Islands , on the west side of Edward ...
- Amanita abrupta: Amanita abrupta, commonly known as the abrupt-bulbed Lepidella, is a species of fungus in the Amanitaceae family of mushroom s. ...
- Carex abrupta: Carex abrupta is a species of sedge known by the common name abrupt-beaked sedge or abruptbeak sedge. It is native to the western United ...
- Placental abruption: Placental abruption (also known as abruptio placentae) is a complication of pregnancy , wherein the placenta l lining has separated from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abrupt'