Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions; "abrupt prose" [syn: disconnected]
- exceedingly sudden and unexpected; "came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
- extremely steep; "an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop" [syn: precipitous, sharp]
- surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner; "an abrupt reply"
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, a. [L. abruptus, p. p. of abrumpere to break
off; ab + rumpere to break. See Rupture.]
- Broken off; very steep, or craggy, as rocks, precipices, banks; precipitous; steep; as, abrupt places. ``Tumbling through ricks abrupt,'' --Thomson.
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious. ``The cause of your abrupt departure.'' --Shak.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject to another; unconnected. The abrupt style, which hath many breaches. --B. Jonson.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, n. [L. abruptum.]
An abrupt place. [Poetic]
``Over the vast abrupt.'' --Milton.
- Abrupt \Ab*rupt"\, v. t.
To tear off or asunder. [Obs.] ``Till death abrupts them.''
--Sir T. Browne.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abrupt'
- Abrupt climate change: An abrupt climate change occurs when the climate system is forced to transition to a new state at a rate that is determined by the climate ...
- Abrupt Island: Abrupt Island (67 | 0 | S | 57 | 46 | E |) is an island 0.5 miles (0.8 km) across, lying 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Lang Island , close ...
- Abrupt Point: Abrupt Point (66 | 54 | S | 56 | 42 | E |) is a rocky point 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Patricia Islands , on the west side of Edward ...
- Amanita abrupta: Amanita abrupta, commonly known as the abrupt-bulbed Lepidella, is a species of fungus in the Amanitaceae family of mushroom s. ...
- Carex abrupta: Carex abrupta is a species of sedge known by the common name abrupt-beaked sedge or abruptbeak sedge. It is native to the western United ...
- Placental abruption: Placental abruption (also known as abruptio placentae) is a complication of pregnancy , wherein the placenta l lining has separated from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abrupt'
Abrupt Sample Sentences in News
- East Point police chief’s abrupt resignation raises question of cause
Former East Point police Chief Woodrow Blue, who resigned abruptly last month, will receive three months of salary plus payment for unused vacation and personal leave. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- Abrupt decision to retire in line with Landon Donovan's career path
Abrupt decision to retire in line with Landon Donovan's career path. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'
- Despite abrupt close, Detroit Jazz Festival hits the right notes
On Saturday pianist Barry Harris, the 84-year-old soul and conscience of Detroit's jazz legacy, sounded more inspired and nimble than I've heard him in years. Read more on this news related to 'Abrupt'