Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abbreviate'
- shorten; "Abbreviate `New York' and write `NY'"
- reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened" [syn: abridge, foreshorten, shorten, cut, contract, reduce] [ant: elaborate]
- Abbreviate \Ab*bre"vi*ate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Abbreviated;
p. pr. & vb. n. Abbreviating.] [L. abbreviatus, p. p. of
abbreviare; ad + breviare to shorten, fr. brevis short. See
- To make briefer; to shorten; to abridge; to reduce by contraction or omission, especially of words written or spoken. It is one thing to abbreviate by contracting, another by cutting off. --Bacon.
- (Math.) To reduce to lower terms, as a fraction.
- Abbreviate \Ab*bre"vi*ate\, a. [L. abbreviatus, p. p.]
- Abbreviated; abridged; shortened. [R.] ``The abbreviate form.'' --Earle.
- (Biol.) Having one part relatively shorter than another or than the ordinary type.
- Abbreviate \Ab*bre"vi*ate\, n.
An abridgment. [Obs.] --Elyot.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abbreviate'
An abbreviation (from Latin brevis, meaning short) is a shortened form of a word or phrase. Usually, but not always, it consists of a letter or group of letters taken from the word or phrase. For example, the word abbreviation can itself be represented by the abbreviation abbr., abbrv. or abbrev.
In strict analysis, abbreviations should not be confused with contractions or acronyms (including initialisms), with which they share some semantic and phonetic functions, though all three are connoted by the term "abbreviation" in loose parlance.:p167An abbreviation is a shortening by any method; a contraction is a reduction of size by the drawing together of the parts. A contraction of a word is made by omitting certain letters or syllables and bringing together the first and last letters or elements; an abbreviation may be made either by omitting certain portions from the interior or by cutting off a part; a contraction is an abbreviation, but an abbreviation is not necessarily a contraction. However, normally acronyms are regarded as a subgroup of abbreviations (e.g. by the Council of Science Editors).[See more about Abbreviate at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Abbreviate'
'Abbreviate' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Abbreviate'
Abbreviate Sample Sentences in News
- Joanna Trollope: 'I'm amazed my archives have raised any interest'
Teased for her 'Aga sagas', Joanna Trollope thought no one would want her papers but Oxford snapped them up. She is thrilled as well as hopping mad about this week's announcement of a ban on posting books to prisoners I haven't heard anyone abbreviate "pious" to "pi" since my great aunt died and she was born in the first world w Read more on this news related to 'Abbreviate'
- Internet users turn to sharp slang to compete with images
We’re compelled to use to use strong, abbreviated, often judgmental language to compete with images on the Internet. Read more on this news related to 'Abbreviate'