Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abate'
Abate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- make less active or intense [syn: slake, slack]
- become less in amount or intensity; "The storm abated"; "The rain let up after a few hours" [syn: let up, slack off, slack, die away]
- Abate \A*bate"\ ([.a]*b[=a]t"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Abated, p.
pr. & vb. n. Abating.] [OF. abatre to beat down, F.
abattre, LL. abatere; ab or ad + batere, battere (popular
form for L. batuere to beat). Cf. Bate, Batter.]
- To beat down; to overthrow. [Obs.] The King of Scots . . . sore abated the walls. --Edw. Hall.
- To bring down or reduce from a higher to a lower state, number, or degree; to lessen; to diminish; to contract; to moderate; to cut short; as, to abate a demand; to abate pride, zeal, hope. His eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated. --Deut. xxxiv. 7.
- To deduct; to omit; as, to abate something from a price. Nine thousand parishes, abating the odd hundreds. --Fuller.
- To blunt. [Obs.] To abate the edge of envy. --Bacon.
- To reduce in estimation; to deprive. [Obs.] She hath abated me of half my train. --Shak.
- (Law) (a) To bring entirely down or put an end to; to do away with; as, to abate a nuisance, to abate a writ. (b) (Eng. Law) To diminish; to reduce. Legacies are liable to be abated entirely or in proportion, upon a deficiency of assets. To abate a tax, to remit it either wholly or in part.
- Abate \A*bate"\ ([.a]*b[=a]t"), v. i. [See Abate, v. t.]
- To decrease, or become less in strength or violence; as, pain abates, a storm abates. The fury of Glengarry . . . rapidly abated. --Macaulay.
- To be defeated, or come to naught; to fall through; to fail; as, a writ abates. To abate into a freehold, To abate in lands (Law), to enter into a freehold after the death of the last possessor, and before the heir takes possession. See Abatement, 4. Syn: To subside; decrease; intermit; decline; diminish; lessen. Usage: To Abate, Subside. These words, as here compared,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abate'
- Abate: Abate may refer to: A brand name for temefos ABATE , a motorcycle and motorcyclist rights organization. The Italian word for abbot and abbé ...
- Ignazio Abate: Ignazio Abate (born 12 November 1986) is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a fullback for Serie A club Milan . ...
- Sant'Antonio Abate: Sant'Antonio Abate is a commune (municipality) in the Province of Naples in the Italian region Campania , located about 30 km southeast ...
- Beniamino Abate: Beniamino Abate (born 10 April 1962, in San Martino Valle Caudina , Province of Avellino ) is a retired Italian football goalkeeper. ...
- Carlo Maria Abate: Carlo Maria Abate (born July 10, 1932, in Turin ) is an Italian former auto racing driver. Of French origin, he was one of the best ...
- Joseph Abate: Joseph F. Abate (1902 – 1994), also known as "Joey", was a New Jersey mobster involved in extortion , loansharking and illegal gambling ...
- Greg Abate: Greg Abate (born Fall River, Massachusetts , May 31, 1947 is a Jazz saxophonist , flautist , composer , and arranger . He grew up in ...
- Abate (surname): Abate is a surname both of Ethiopian and Italian origin. People with it include the following: Abiyote Abate (born 1980), Ethiopian long- ...
- Adamo Abate: Saint Adamo Abate (c. 990 - 1060/1070) was an Italian medieval Benedictine abbot, a promoter of the unification of the Southern ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abate'
Abate Sample Sentences in News
- 'Jack Daniel’s experience' to benefit ABATE of North Dakota
ABATE of North Dakota, Captain Jack’s Liquor Land and Republic National Distributing of North Dakota are partnering to host a “Jack Daniel’s Experience” Saturday at the Ramkota. Read more on this news related to 'Abate'
- Greg Abate Quartet to play Wednesday
Jazz alto sax legend Greg Abate brings his high-powered quartet to the Wamsutta Club in New Bedford Wednesday evening at 8. The concert continues the long-running series of concerts presented by Whaling City Sound with proceeds to benefit the YWCA of... Read more on this news related to 'Abate'
- Put abate in open water containers
From MYCHAN, Kuala Lumpur. Read more on this news related to 'Abate'