Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Abate'
Abate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- make less active or intense [syn: slake, slack]
- become less in amount or intensity; "The storm abated"; "The rain let up after a few hours" [syn: let up, slack off, slack, die away]
- Abate \A*bate"\ ([.a]*b[=a]t"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Abated, p.
pr. & vb. n. Abating.] [OF. abatre to beat down, F.
abattre, LL. abatere; ab or ad + batere, battere (popular
form for L. batuere to beat). Cf. Bate, Batter.]
- To beat down; to overthrow. [Obs.] The King of Scots . . . sore abated the walls. --Edw. Hall.
- To bring down or reduce from a higher to a lower state, number, or degree; to lessen; to diminish; to contract; to moderate; to cut short; as, to abate a demand; to abate pride, zeal, hope. His eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated. --Deut. xxxiv. 7.
- To deduct; to omit; as, to abate something from a price. Nine thousand parishes, abating the odd hundreds. --Fuller.
- To blunt. [Obs.] To abate the edge of envy. --Bacon.
- To reduce in estimation; to deprive. [Obs.] She hath abated me of half my train. --Shak.
- (Law) (a) To bring entirely down or put an end to; to do away with; as, to abate a nuisance, to abate a writ. (b) (Eng. Law) To diminish; to reduce. Legacies are liable to be abated entirely or in proportion, upon a deficiency of assets. To abate a tax, to remit it either wholly or in part.
- Abate \A*bate"\ ([.a]*b[=a]t"), v. i. [See Abate, v. t.]
- To decrease, or become less in strength or violence; as, pain abates, a storm abates. The fury of Glengarry . . . rapidly abated. --Macaulay.
- To be defeated, or come to naught; to fall through; to fail; as, a writ abates. To abate into a freehold, To abate in lands (Law), to enter into a freehold after the death of the last possessor, and before the heir takes possession. See Abatement, 4. Syn: To subside; decrease; intermit; decline; diminish; lessen. Usage: To Abate, Subside. These words, as here compared,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Abate'
- Abate: Abate may refer to: A brand name for temefos ABATE , a motorcycle and motorcyclist rights organization. The Italian word for abbot and abbé ...
- Ignazio Abate: Ignazio Abate (born 12 November 1986) is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a fullback for Serie A club Milan . ...
- Sant'Antonio Abate: Sant'Antonio Abate is a commune (municipality) in the Province of Naples in the Italian region Campania , located about 30 km southeast ...
- Beniamino Abate: Beniamino Abate (born 10 April 1962, in San Martino Valle Caudina , Province of Avellino ) is a retired Italian football goalkeeper. ...
- Carlo Maria Abate: Carlo Maria Abate (born July 10, 1932, in Turin ) is an Italian former auto racing driver. Of French origin, he was one of the best ...
- Joseph Abate: Joseph F. Abate (1902 – 1994), also known as "Joey", was a New Jersey mobster involved in extortion , loansharking and illegal gambling ...
- Greg Abate: Greg Abate (born Fall River, Massachusetts , May 31, 1947 is a Jazz saxophonist , flautist , composer , and arranger . He grew up in ...
- Abate (surname): Abate is a surname both of Ethiopian and Italian origin. People with it include the following: Abiyote Abate (born 1980), Ethiopian long- ...
- Adamo Abate: Saint Adamo Abate (c. 990 - 1060/1070) was an Italian medieval Benedictine abbot, a promoter of the unification of the Southern ...
Words and phrases related to 'Abate'
Abate Sample Sentences in News
- Anthony P. Abate, 86, formerly of Bristol
Anthony P. Abate, 86, passed away peacefully on July 21. Born in Bristol, on Sept. 28, 1927 to Maria and Frank Abate, he graduated from Colt Memorial High School in 1945 and enlisted in the U.S. Navy. Mr. Abate served in the Pacific Theater during World War II on landing craft support ships generating smoke ... Read more on this news related to 'Abate'
- Veteran Insurance Regulatory Attorney Nate “Wes” Strickland to Lead Colodny, Fass Talenfeld, Karlinsky, Abate & Webb’s ...
Veteran insurance attorney Nate Wesley “Wes” Strickland has joined Colodny, Fass Talenfeld, Karlinsky, Abate & Webb as a Partner to head the Firm’s Insurance Regulatory practic Read more on this news related to 'Abate'
- Thunder on the Mountain starts today in Potter Co.
God’s Country ABATE chapter of McKean County is very much concerned about making sure the roads are safer for motorcyclists. Read more on this news related to 'Abate'